How much bloody Public money is that Star man wasting?

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited May 2013 in The cake stop
Admittedly I m no too well informed on this, despite several years studying to be a space cadet, some would say I graduated with honours.

However with a tittle that Includes the word National in it, I would envisage N.A.S.A receives many Billions in public funding to do such things as the International Space Station missions.

So just how much money as it cost for that Moustachioed Prat Commander Chris Hadfield to take his guitar into space and make his Sad Dad homage to Bowie.

Sorry to get all stiff shirted about this , but surely just carrying the extra payload of a Guitar cost Millions.

Its a bloody Vanity project and he should be sacked for twatting around rather than applauded.

Told that C*nt James Blunt (Sorry Major James Blunt) the same in Bosnia when he used to get the Guitar out. :D

Comments

• Jimfrandisco
    Jimfrandisco Posts: 210
    massive surge in public increase in space = easier to justify the spend to the voting public in a recession.
  • Well, after blowing up a saxophonist (and his saxophone) on Challenger, maybe they were conducting research into whether instruments on which a solo can be reasonably be expected to be played can be placed into orbit in the first place.

*cough*

Personally, I really do wonder what the point in manned spaceflight actually is beyond giving a bit of career progression for middle aged military scientist and test pilot types. There are no doubt a few things that would be useful (as opposed to fun*) to try out in zero gravity, but given that humanity's not exactly pushing back boundaries up there, the whole manned spaceflight thing just seems like a bit of a waste to me.

Okay, so I might well be wrong about the pointlessness of it all, but given the predilection for blowing massive amounts of sunshine up their own bottoms that people like NASA have, the lack of a load of interesting, publicly demonstrated results as a result of manned spaceflight does smell pretty heavily of time-wasting.

* And I for one would be really disappointed if it turns out that no-one's had it off in space.
    Mangeur
  • tim wand wrote:
    Moustachioed Prat Commander
    tim wand wrote:
    Sorry Major
    Now those are some fabulous ranks.
    Mangeur
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    well PR is PR, whether its good or bad

good PR - people singing famous songs in space, first time I have seen anything like this and he was there already...

bad PR - people dying in space, and as we are about to go further in space there will be plenty of these

money on this scale is an abstract concept, it really is just a number on a piece of paper
    but the advances in technology and political weight are priceless

and then it gets all ruined by the mention of jamie b lunt..... WHO?
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    The Soyuz costs about $5k per kilo to put something in orbit, guess a guitar weighs about 3 or 4 kilos. So the cost of that is say $17k.

Bigger than that is the waste of time, it costs about $11bn a year to run the space station (including depreciation) equating to about $1.3m per man hour (they do a 55 hour week).
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • simonhead wrote:
    ...it costs about $11bn a year to run the space station (including depreciation)...
    Surely depreciation can only be applied to stuff that can subsequently be sold? "One space station, regularly serviced, several bazillion miles, never used in the rain, buyer collects" might not attract that much in the way of eBay bids.
    Mangeur
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    simonhead wrote:
    Bigger than that is the waste of time, it costs about $11bn a year to run the space station (including depreciation) equating to about $1.3m per man hour (they do a 55 hour week).
    Assuming that they need it in the first place, the maintenance is necessary and so is the man hours anyway.
    If they work a 55 hour week then what do you expect them to do for the remaining 57 hours? Assuming 56 hours sleeping.
    He's been in space for 156 days and you are denying him a guitar. I can see a "Here's Johnny" moment if no one had personal possessions to while away the time.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    daviesee wrote:
    simonhead wrote:
    Assuming that they need it in the first place, the maintenance is necessary and so is the man hours anyway.
    If they work a 55 hour week then what do you expect them to do for the remaining 57 hours? Assuming 56 hours sleeping.
    He's been in space for 156 days and you are denying him a guitar. I can see a "Here's Johnny" moment if no one had personal possessions to while away the time.

Not saying he is right or wrong, just calculating the cost of doing it. The album he is releasing was all done in his own time but this one song was apparently on company time.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tim wand wrote:
    Admittedly I m no too well informed on this,
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/ ... ation-nasa
    so it would seem.
    using a guitar already aboard the complex
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    ^^^this

if people are going to be stuck in a confined space for months on end, there does need to be some form of entertainment and recreation available

btw cost per kg into low earth orbit is a few thousand quid on a russian launch vehicle, even the notoriously expensive shuttle would get it up there for under 30 grand

seems harmless enough, we wasted far more in iraq and afghanistan
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    nicklouse wrote:
    tim wand wrote:
    Admittedly I m no too well informed on this,
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/ ... ation-nasa
    so it would seem.
    using a guitar already aboard the complex

Fair Point. still no bloody excuse for that Moustache.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    i suppose any hobby that cuts "boredom masterbation" down has to be a good thing in a weightless environment! :shock:
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736

* And I for one would be really disappointed if it turns out that no-one's had it off in space.

That will change with lynx and virgin and relatively cheap space flights.
    They are asking people. What they would do if given the opportunity and the slots I'm sure awarded at times to those who will bring the most publicity.
    Living MY dream.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    So those lynx adverts are actually true! :shock: Fantastic, I'm off to get some.
    Those ladies don't look like virgins to me though :(
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Pituophis wrote:
    So those lynx adverts are actually true! :shock: Fantastic, I'm off to get some.
    Those ladies don't look like virgins to me though :(

Ohh yes, and much cheaper than the virgin galactic version.
    You can now go to space for a similar price of a medium family saloon and I for one think that that's a bargain, imagine the feeling I looking down on the earth, you would take that to the grave and never forget the experience.
    Living MY dream.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

I wouldn't care for the bodily fluids floating around in weighlessness.
    Bukkake for everyone!
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    So wait, somebody goes into space to do their job and watch after a very expensive piece of machinery and technology, they are confined in very small spaces, there are wars on Earth much more immoral than imaginable and you are complaining about some dude bringing his guitar into space and filming a video in his free time. Since he is in space is he supposed to be working 24/7 in those conditions with no breaks?

Or are you just pissed off you didn't get to go?
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    sungod wrote:
    if people are going to be stuck in a confined space for months on end, there does need to be some form of entertainment and recreation available

Someone did once say "All the conditions necessary for a murder are satisfied by confining two men together in a small space for long periods." Can't remember the name, but he was a Russian cosmonaut. Must have been fun to fly with. I like to imagine as the countdown reaches about 6 he would turn to the other crewman and say, "Two men enter. One man leaves"
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    yep, and some hippie strumming on a guitar crooning kumbaya would be my snapping point
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Cracking pictures he did though
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    As a nervous flyer, the idea of going into space scares the shit out of me. :shock: