Shoe covers

Triban Man
Triban Man Posts: 35
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Despite wearing shoe covers, got back from a ride last night with soaking wet feet. Irksome.
Have never had any problems with my shoe covers before.
Any ideas? Where would they most likely have been letting in? Tips for ensuring this does not happen again?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Overshoes are not waterproof, they have big holes in the bottom for cleats and heel. Even if they were waterproof chances are you would get wet feet from perspiration on anything other than a gentle couple of miles to the shops.

It all depends what you are hoping they will prevent? Wet feet in a torrential downpour? Light shower, or wet road? I fond my neoprene overshoes are great at keeping my feet warm and keeping the crap out, but accpet that my feet will be wet inside.

PP
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Get some Sealskinz waterproof socks. Job done :wink:
  • pilot_pete
    They'll keep the rain out, but you will sweat in them causing wet feet....the choice is yours where you get the wetness from! :wink:

PP
  • Anonymous
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    They'll keep the rain out, but you will sweat in them causing wet feet....the choice is yours where you get the wetness from! :wink:

PP

Have you used them then PP, and know this for a fact?

I have used them on dry days when there is no chance of it raining and not had any breathability issues :wink:

Think it is these ones I have......

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/sealskinz-m ... ks-p130669

I would never wear anything cycling that was not breathable. I have put neoprene shoe covers on with them too and they are fine.
  • Paul-Posh
    Paul-Posh Posts: 31
    +1 for the sealskins. I use the shorter ones for most rides. (avoids excessive tan lines on the showery/sunny days)

Can get them here too (with home delivery if you haven't got a local gooutdoors/outdoor shop)
    http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/sealskin ... colour=124
  • Anonymous
    Hey, glad its not just me ;-)

They are great.
    I have mesh panels in my cycling shoes so they keep the wind/cold out on dry days.
  • Triban Man
    Thanks for responses. Definitely not sweat. Feet were sodden. And freezing cold. Isn't that what shoe covers are meant to prevent?
  • Anonymous
    edited May 2013
    What shoe covers are they?
    Are they a waterproof fabric?
    What were you wearing on your legs?

They are going to have two holes in them, so water is going to run down your leg if its raining really hard, and the other hole at the bottom for the cleat which has been mentioned can let water in.
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    During the winter I just had the cheap DHB windproof covers, feet got soaked but even sub 0 temps my feet stayed warm.
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • Anonymous
    If you want to stay dry you need to wear waterproof socks (that are breathable) with tights (or leg warmers) over the top (to stop rain running down into the socks).
    A decent pair of well fitted water resistant neoprene shoe covers should then be enough ensure a pleasant ride and stop your shoes getting trashed.
    You can get ones that seal better at the top, but I have never found that to be necessary.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Carbonator wrote:
    Get some Sealskinz waterproof socks. Job done :wink:

+1

Had my sealskins for years and they have never let me down. best £20 i have spent for rainy days
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • pilot_pete
    Yes I've used Sealskins waterproof socks. I guess I just ride too fast to not sweat... :wink:

PP
  • Anonymous
    Where's the 'Yawn' smiley? :roll:

Well I am Mr sweaty so maybe you just had the wrong ones?
    Everyone sweats, its just that they are breathable enough to cope and be worth wearing.

Whatever on the fast riding thing. Its 3 to 1 against you at the moment and for £13/20 I think people should try them :wink:
    Just make sure they are the ones designed for cycling if anyone does.

Sealskinz water proof gloves however...... now they (at least the ones I tried) really are a sweat factory :shock:
    I do not think waterproof, breathable gloves exist.
  • pilot_pete
    We're all different, for me they don't work. Just like £300+ Gore Tex walking jackets (which I've owned in the past). Doing any exercise in such gear just means I get wet from sweat. No fabric that I know of can breath quick enough to keep you dry and if you think about it, how could it possibly keep you dry unless you don't sweat in the first place and it keeps the rain out? The speed thing was a joke by the way... :roll:

PP
  • Triban Man
    Thanks Carbonator. Sounds like waterproof socks are a must. Am also going to try covering the tops of my overshoes next time I am out. Could definitely feel water seeping in.
  • Dan007
    Dan007 Posts: 10
    Buy some steel toecaps, mine never let any water in. :D
  • Anonymous
    Np Triban Man, hope they work for you.

Sorry if I was a bit snappy PP :oops: Just that I think they would work for most people.
    TBH I do not think anyone will find they (if they get the right ones) have any breathability issues.

Re. your comment about fabrics generally. I thought that the idea was that the fabric needed to be breathable enough not to add significantly to the sweat produced by exercise, but that obviously the sweat you would produce regardless of the clothing would still be there, and that that sweat is ideally held in the fabric (base layer etc.) away from your skin.

The problem is when the fabric does not breath and creates sweat by almost just standing still.
    These socks are no less breathable than a pair of thick woolly ones IMO.