Shimano cassette and SRAM chain?

flester
flester Posts: 464
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Got new shimano 7-speed cassette something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... lID=104619

and have ordered SRAM 7/8 speed chain. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=26313

Are these likely to be compatible?

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • flester
    Can I join a new SRAM chain in the old fashioned way using a chain rivet tool? I've never had a chain break using this method, except on a very old worn chain. Or do I have to use the power link?

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')
  • nicklouse
    no, sram chains do not come with a pin.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • flester
    Well, it was super-easy to fit the chain with powerlink so did not need the chain tool.

What I was getting at was that in oldfashioned times (e.g. when my town bike was made in early 90's), all pins on the chain were the same and you could fit or remove any of them with a chain tool. Same procedure you'd use to add or remove links.

The system worked: you never needed to carry/buy any special links or pins, once you had a chain tool. Looks like could still do that if I had to on the new chain. I am impressed with the ease of fitting with the powerlink, hopefully it is as good at staying on.

• nicklouse
    flester wrote:
    What I was getting at was that in oldfashioned times (e.g. when my town bike was made in early 90's), all pins on the chain were the same and you could fit or remove any of them with a chain tool. Same procedure you'd use to add or remove links.
    and even then it was not really the right way as even back then there were connecting pins.

before indexed gears you could happly do what ever you wanted though. so maybe your early 90s bike was on the cusp of it.
  • flester
    Yep its probably got more critical now with 9, 10, 11(?)speed cassettes. Back in the day, you had to get a special 'narrow' chain for those fancy 6-speed cassettes ('freewheels'). Yet the basic structure of the chain is the same since 1880 or so.

• flester
    how do you open these powerlink thingies? I have SRAM one on one bike and the Shimano equivalent on the other. The Shimano one was pretty hard to get on. Can you put a SRAM link on a Shimano chain?

• There are special pliers on sale but if you do not to spend money put the power link at the 3 o'clock position on your crank. Move the bottom part of the chain along one tooth until the power link now stinks out at an angle. Check which way the posts need to slide and tap appropriatly with a plastic mallet and it will come apart.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    flester wrote:
    Well, it was super-easy to fit the chain with powerlink so did not need the chain tool.

The system worked: you never needed to carry/buy any special links or pins, once you had a chain tool. Looks like could still do that if I had to on the new chain. I am impressed with the ease of fitting with the powerlink, hopefully it is as good at staying on.

There is no problem joining a SRAM 7/8 speed chain in the traditional way using a chain tool. It's something I do regularly on bikes which need a longer chain than standard such as my wife's electric bike and our tandem. I fit Campag 9 speed chains on my tourer and those have never come with a joining link. Again I shorten them to length with a chain tool and rejoin in the traditional way. I make sure I join them carefully and have never suffered breakages.

However, if chains come with a link, I always use it. And I save joining links from old chains to carry with me in case of problems on the road. The advice given above about moving chain up one link to make a V on chainring and then tapping the point of V sharply with a hammer to undo it is spot on. It works perfectly. No need to buy a fancy tool.