Seat Height - technical question

wormishere
wormishere Posts: 51
edited May 2013 in MTB general
Hi, I have read all of the article regarding seat height but not clearly stat the point at which the upper point is taken at.

For example, the 109% method - is the top of the seat the highest point directly in line with the seat tube, or is it the highest point of the saddle. Normally the back. This makes a huge difference (well cms) of difference

Also, the Holmes method of - 35 degree knee angle. What is the 35 degree angle relevant too. When I measure my angle on an app such as Power Gnometer the angle is always over 100 degrees, after all 35 degrees is very acute.

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, and if they have please can you point me to the posts!

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if your hips are rocking your saddle is to high.

the rest is crap for MTB as you are not sat in the same place for any length of time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wormishere
    Well I have tried quite a few heights and either get lower back ache when it feels high enough, and when it's lower with no pain it feels too low

I wish I wasn't in the seat for a long time! 80% of my rides in the Dales are over moors or up hills!
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    Maybe it isn't the seat hight that is the problem.

This is what a page on BR says:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/t ... fit-29498/
    Back: Back pain during/after riding will often be related to poor core muscle support so there may not be a quick and easy setup fix. But try changing the position of your handlebars and/or your reach from the saddle to the bars. We know a lot of riders who’ve solved lower back pain simply by putting the stem up or down by half an inch, or getting a handlebar with more backsweep.
  • wormishere
    Any ideas what else it could be? I have tried the usual fore/aft movements, stem length etc.

Edit. Just saw the link
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    wormishere wrote:
    Any ideas what else it could be? I have tried the usual fore/aft movements, stem length etc.
    Logically have you tried bars with more rise or adding more spacers below the stem? i.e. you don't get problems when you have a low saddle so try raising both the saddle to the correct height and raise the bars in proportion to the amount you have raised saddle.

*shrug* Just a suggestion.
  • wormishere
    If only life were so simple/the joys of a Lefty!

I think I might give a different pair of bars a go and see how that helps. Cheers for your suggestions though.
  • wormishere
    Thanks cyd190468 I think that could be the source of my pain. Just tried to touch my toes and cannot get as far as my ankles!

I will give some stretches a go and see what happens.

And anyone who knows where the correct seat height actually is please let me know!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    wormishere wrote:
    Thanks cyd190468 I think that could be the source of my pain. Just tried to touch my toes and cannot get as far as my ankles!
    Sheesh and I thought I was inflexible......

Stretching excercises are a must for you!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    wormishere wrote:

And anyone who knows where the correct seat height actually is please let me know!

There is no correct seat height for mountain biking. What is the right height for a long steady ride on a level cyclepath (which is what all that ballcocks on seat height will give you) is instantly wrong as soon as you get onto a steep twisty bit. Also conditions change your seat height requirements a soft boggy trail needs the seat to be lower so you can move about on the bike to get traction. Ride the same trail a month after dry weather and you could have the seat higher for all out pedalling speed.

Play about with the height, different saddles, seat angle, fore and aft position also you can try a shorter or longer stem. Eventually you will find the sweet spot.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    wormishere wrote:
    Sheesh and I thought I was inflexible......

Stretching excercises are a must for you!

I have a bad back and a beer belly, even I can touch my toes. Try swimming I find it good for flexibility and when the back is too bad for riding it keeps me almost sane.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    wormishere wrote:

I will give some stretches a go and see what happens.

Stretching can only be a good thing, however, if you have short arms and long body and or legs, touching your toes is bound to be hard.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Sit ups cured my back pain whilst riding. I can't see how adjusting your position helps because every bike has diffrent geometry - you just get used to the bike you're riding (within reason). Otherwise, when swapping between the DH bike and the trail bike, I'd find that one would be a nightmare to ride because of their differing geometries. I have a sneaking suspicion that whilst changing your position will help some people, more would be helped by improving flexibility and core strength...