Has anyone done the Fred Whitton and Marmotte?

nammynake
nammynake Posts: 196
I did the Fred Whitton yesterday for the second year running. I managed 7h51m which I was pretty pleased with. I am definitely built for climbing as I was passing a lot of riders on the hills but only just keeping up on the flats. I weigh 63kg.

How does climbing ability on The Fred compare to the Marmotte? I was using a 34-27 and found it wasn't low enough for Hardknott/Honister/Wrynose but I managed to grind up very slowly without stopping. I know the gradients are much less on the Marmotte but I don't want to find I am under geared again. I am definitely a spinner not grinder and quite often use lowest gear on my training rides. I believe Ultegra now do a 30t cassette, which I am considering for a lower bottom gear.

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    If you had a 30 you'd probably get a fair bit of use out of it - though 34/27 probably pretty much what most of your standard (not elite start but fairly fit) will be using. Hard to say what suits someone else but if forced then I'd advise get the 30 but a 27 isn't going to be massively over geared.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I have done the Fred six times now and the Marmotte. At no time during the Marmotte did I ever need as low as gears like at Hardknott at 100miles and a 34/27 should be fine for Marmotte. Although towards the end of the Galibier you feel like you could do with more so if you want to spin then go for the 30.

My best time for the Fred was 7hr28min and the Marmotte at 8hrs20min but overall found the Marmotte tougher but at no time was I straining sinews like you do on Hardknott - 2 different routes and both equally tough.

I am 85kgs though and 6ft2" so not really cut out for the ultra steep and can manage long continental climbs better and the best I can say about my climbing ability is that I can hold my own with average sportive rider.

Hope this helps.
    Brian B.
  • lucky paddy
    lucky paddy Posts: 23
    Hi there I rode the fred whitton yesterday and used a 34x30 and got around ok didnt touch down at all but the cold and wet got to me after the second feed. Hoped for around 7.15 but ended up at 8.20 missed 3crashes by sheer good luck.I am also doing the marmotte and will be taking the same gearing for the top of the galibier as mentioned and also for the bottom ramps of the alpe to save the legs.this was my second fred whitton and this will be my fifth marmotte.T he marmotte is definatley harder and you must pace yourself and dont get carried away .Good luck maybe see you in france all the best tony.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've done four Freds and two Marmottes.

I ran 33-30 in last Sunday's Fred, but ran 33-28 in both Marmottes. The Marmotte is tougher. It obviously doesn't have the really steep stuff and the variation of the Fred but the numbers speak for themselves. 34-27 should be fine.

The Marmotte is a much simpler ride to plan though. Up, down, up, down-a-bit, up, down-a-lot, up. Use you heart rate to guide you on the climbs. Save something for the Alp as it's a proper sting in the tail, and hot.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ransos1
    ransos1 Posts: 34
    I've bought a 12-30T cassette in preparation for La Marmotte, which I will be pairing with a compact. I'm going for a "hare and the tortoise" strategy!

Not done the Fred but am doing Le Terrier on 2nd June - looking at the finishing times and gradient profile, I'd say it's comparable in difficulty.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I've done both once. The Fred Whitton was one of the hardest days I've ever had on a bike. I think I was around 10hrs.
    Marmotte took longer, 11hrs, but nowhere near as hard.

I always gear as low as possible for these things. Even if you don't use them, there's a mental help in knowing the option is there.
    exercise.png
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    ransos1 wrote:
    Not done the Fred but I am doing Le Terrier on 2nd June - looking at the finishing times and gradient profile, I'd say it's comparable in difficulty.

Le Terrier is every bit as hard as the Fred - might even be tougher with that really difficult section at the end.
    Brian B.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    I always gear as low as possible for these things. Even if you don't use them, there's a mental help in knowing the option is there.
    +++1
    Not done Marmotte, but have done Fred and le Terrier and Alps / Pyrenees Raids. IMO Fred / Le Terrier not at all comparable as steep power climbs cf very long steady 8-10% type , different technique but a low gear always helped me. Keep heart rate low and don`t overpush early (or at all !) on continental climbs. Braek climb into psychological manageable sections, eg km by km, next hairpin etc.
    With the 25-30 % UK stuff you`ve little choice but to push hard, or walk

I do wonder though how I`m going to manage Tre Cime de Lavaredo (Raid Dolomites) though in August, top 4 km @ 11.5 % average with scattered 20%; maybe Giro will reveal all as to how hard it is. I`m thinking of a 32 cassette :D
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Brian B wrote:
    ransos1 wrote:
    Not done the Fred but I am doing Le Terrier on 2nd June - looking at the finishing times and gradient profile, I'd say it's comparable in difficulty.

Le Terrier is every bit as hard as the Fred - might even be tougher with that really difficult section at the end.

There is no way that Le Terrier is any where near the Fred in difficulty. It just isn't. :?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Done Fred and Marmotte once each. Think I ran 34/26 for Fred, had to walk up Hardknott so perhaps could have used a few more gears. It was hot though, I was knackered, and you couldn't maintain any momentum due to cars coming down and people getting off and walking, so not sure the gearing was the issue. Made it up Wrynose on the same. Got round in 7hrs20ish.

Climbing on the Marmotte was a lot easier for me but at 6'2" / 80+kg those long less steep gradients are a lot more suited to my climbing style. Used 34/25 which was fine, had used a 23 for previous trip to Alps so 25 worked as my "bail out" gear. Can't remember my time but it was under 8 hours I think, compromised by a crash on the Glandon descent (no harm done but real brown bibshorts moment!).

27 or 30 ought to be enough for most people - if you're spinning a 34/30 you are likely to be moving VERY slowly - OK for the occasional steep hairpin / recovery, but you'll have a long day in the saddle using that regularly.
  • hatone
    hatone Posts: 228
    I've done both the Fred and Marmotte with a 39/27 in the same year (2011)

I found the Fred harder than Marmotte, probably because 39/27 isn't ideal on steep gradients 9%+, so ended grinding up rather than turning a steady cadence of 60 rpm +.

N
  • ransos1
    Brian B wrote:
    ransos1 wrote:

Good to know. I was pretty slow round Le terrier in 8:21, but given I was the 8th quickest, hopefully that's a reflection on the course rather than my legs! I'm feeling more confident about making round La Marmotte now. I don't need to be quick, I just don't want to conk out on the Alpe.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    This year's Terrier was harder than previous versions IMO. I was slower on the Terrier than I was on the Fred, and it's shorter by 5 miles or so. I'd say they were pretty close in terms of toughness.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    I still maintain that Le Terrier is rideable without much training. Don't train for the Fred you will be walking it.
  • ransos1
    Overlord2 wrote:
    I still maintain that Le Terrier is rideable without much training. Don't train for the Fred you will be walking it.

I guess we're all different. But I wouldn't fancy Roeburndale with no training, after 90 odd miles and over 3,000m ascent.