Sram to shimano switchover

benengland
benengland Posts: 11
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I am picking up a new giant trance x1 29er on Friday and I want to swap the SRAM stuff over to shimano xt.

The bike comes with:

Shifters SRAM X7 2x10 Speed
Front Derailleur SRAM X7
Rear Derailleur SRAM X9, Type-2
Cassette SRAM PG-1030, 10s
Chain KMC X10
Crankset SRAM S1000, 24/38

I have bought

Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Trigger Shifter - Pair - Front & Rear - I-Spec
Shimano Deore XT Rear Derailleur M786 Shadow + SGS (Long Cage), Silver
SLX brakes

A couple of questions!
Can I use the existing cables, chain, cassette, crankset, front mech?

I can not quite afford the rest of the xt bits but is there anything else I need to get to start using the bits I already have?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Hey? Just the rear mech and shifter need to match brands. The rest is all cross compatible.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I don't mean to pick holes in your plan but, you are picking the bike up on Friday? What is wrong with the Sram kit already on there which you haven't even tried yet? Seems a lot of needless faff and expense.

But yes, it will all work as long as rear mech and shifter have the same pull ratio (which they will)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will need new cables as the routing will not be the same and you will be a very clever to get the inners out in a usable state.

seems like a waste of time effort and money.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benengland
    benengland Posts: 11
    I know it seems like a waste of money but the trance x0 with the full xt set is £1500 more so this is a bit of a cheaper way to get what i want.
    I've had both the x9/x7 and xt on my last few bikes. It is a personal preference but I prefer the xt style of shifters.

I'm hoping to make some money back selling the nearly new kit (not much but better than nothing)

I was originally just going to swap out the avids for SLX's but then it was starting to get messy as the brackets for the x7 shifters were about £35-40 for the pair :-(. At this point I got a good deal on the shimano shifters and rear mech so have decided to swap it over at the beginning before I knackered the sram stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Selling 'as new' stuff on ebay carefully listed will get you a surprising amount back....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Selling 'as new' stuff on ebay carefully listed will get you a surprising amount back....

Not just "as new" - twice now (out of 50 odd sales) I've got more for something than it would cost to buy a brand new one from the regular shops, having labelled them as "used"
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yup me to.....I'm almost tempted to buy some stuff from CRC to sell on ebay at times!

Best way to get a good price
    1/ End auction at the weekend - preferably Sunday evening
    2/ Put unused in the title (ebay rules don't like 'nearly new' or 'as new')
    3/ Condition 'new other'
    4/ Describe in description that it was fitted to a new bike and removed before use.

Guarentee a good price, I made £48 (after all costs) on a pair of Hayes Sole brakes that way!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Agreed, as long as you don't actually use the SRAM stuff. There's nothing worse than buying something touted 'as new' or 'mint' when it's not. You'll end up getting it back and issuing a refund.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    seems like a good way of wasting time and money to me, but good luck.