Which brakes to replace Avid Elixir R's?

broona
broona Posts: 414
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Got Elixir R's on my Boardman, and just becoming less and less impressed with them, couple of problems over the last few months, and now I can't get one of the pistons to fully recess, so I'm tempted to replace them!

Got Formula RX on my HT, and fairly impressed with them, but keep hearing good things about Shimano Deore/SLX, any opinions please? Cheers. :)

Comments

• sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    I had elixir R's and have finally got round to replacing them with some SLX brakes which I think may be a tad heavier but are more powerful and haven't broken yet so they are working better than the avids already
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Gone from elixir cr on one bike and elixir 3 on the other, both to slx. About the same weight as the cr's and a shade lighter than the 3's.
    The slx's however in terms of feel and power are in a completely different league to the avids.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Shimano Deore or SLX, can't go far wrong. SLX adds finned pads and a thumb wheel rather than a hex screw to adjust the bite point. Take your pick
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • broona
    Thanks for the replies.

Got a 10 euro discount voucher for Rose Bikes, so I think either XT or SLX from there look like the best bet. :)
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Be aware that Rose Bikes will generally supply the brakes as left front, right rear - so you may have to swap the hoses around while you're shortening them
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • broona
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Be aware that Rose Bikes will generally supply the brakes as left front, right rear - so you may have to swap the hoses around while you're shortening them

Yeah, I imported a Morewood from Germany that was set up that way, mate's a bike mechanic so should be able to sort it out easily enough. :)

Got a new set of pads for the Avids, so I'm going to get my mate to set it up and use them, then replace the whole setup once the pads need replacing, seems a shame to waste them! :twisted:
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    broona wrote:

Got a new set of pads for the Avids, so I'm going to get my mate to set it up and use them, then replace the whole setup once the pads need replacing, seems a shame to waste them! :twisted:

Have I read that right?..you're getting your (mechanic) mate to change your brake pads for you!...I need a little head-shaking smiley for that one!

Got Elixir R's on the DH bike...and yeah - they're pants. Depending how flush I am at the time they'll either get replaced with Zee or SLX
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • broona
    broona wrote:
    and now I can't get one of the pistons to fully recess
    Have I read that right?..you're getting your (mechanic) mate to change your brake pads for you!...I need a little head-shaking smiley for that one!

Got Elixir R's on the DH bike...and yeah - they're pants. Depending how flush I am at the time they'll either get replaced with Zee or SLX

As per my OP, the pads are rubbing on the disc as I can't get the piston to fully recess, so he's going to take a look as I don't want to damage them even if I'm getting rid! :wink:
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    I've got a set of Elixir R's on my Enduro. Hate them.
    Apart from XT's and Zee what you guys recommend?
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Magura MT2 or 4.
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    Deore are top draw...just took my elixirs of and replace with http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... -rear.html and there 100 times better.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had Elixir X0's on my DH bike. Replaced them with Zee's which are a massive improvement and moved the elixirs to my xc bike. Just replaced them with Deores which even though they are much cheaper are better (heavier though).
    The shimanos do come around the wrong way if you buy from ze Germans but the hoses are too long for most bikes anyway so even if you get them around the right way you will need to shorten hoses and bleed them.