Clincher and Tubular Wheels

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited May 2013 in The cake stop
I'm scouring the internet looking for some carbon wheels. Usual criteria the best wheels I can get for as little of the very hard-earned cash as possible.

So I have fund some Pro-lite tubular. Looking good.

But, I have a look at the hassle of re-fitting.

OMG you are recommended to put the tyres on the rims and leave them for 3-4 days and then the compound takes god knows how long to dry. What a pol-ar-va.

I must get clinchers????

Comments

• RideOnTime
    Any good advice radars would be appreciated...
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    This would be a good place to start....

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12919456
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    i use veloflex carbon tubs, never needed to stretch them

clean new rim of any trace of release agent or grease etc. (acetone or isopropyl alchohol)

2-3 thin coats of glue on a new rim, let each dry, also 1 coat on the basetape

final coat on the rim, wait a couple of minutes, mount tyre, inflate a little and align

fully inflate, roll out with weight on, clean any trace of glue from the brake track, leave it all to dry for day

total time to do all this, about 30-40 minutes, more if it's the first time, less if the rim was already well glued

ride and enjoy the loveliness of tubs (but don't use crap ones like conti, there are better clinchers)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • bernithebiker
    All good advice - one thing I would add - when you do your final inflate, take it right up to 140psi or so, this helps to straighten the tyre out and gives a good bond.
  • RideOnTime
    caught up with the issue on Youtube.

fitting tubular does look a bit technical with respect to sungod.

but may be he's well practiced.

I've gone for clinchers.

have cost a fair bit more.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If it takes all day to put a tub on and let the glue dry, how do you swap a tub when you get a puncture?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sungod
    use sealant, if that fails, pull it off, put the pre-glued (dry) spare one on (in back pocket, not much bigger than an inner tube), inflate, there'll be enough pressure to bond well enough to get home ok - just don't take corners at 60kph or practice heroic last-second braking
  • RideOnTime
    use sealant - like in a little gas canister type thing that inflates the tyre?
  • sungod
    RideOnTime wrote:

tufo extreme, little plastic bottle, comes with a valve core remover

i've tried the pressurised type (vittoria pitstop) but had no luck with it, just sprayed latex everywhere!
  • bernithebiker
    sungod wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

tufo extreme, little plastic bottle, comes with a valve core remover

i've tried the pressurised type (vittoria pitstop) but had no luck with it, just sprayed latex everywhere!

Try the Decathlon ones, they work a treat - they screw on, nice and tight, then you can inject the latex.