Cube Analog Disc 2012 upgrade (crankset, bottom bracket, tyr

izumi
izumi Posts: 15
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello everyone! I've bought a Cube Analog Disc 2012 last year. Now I want to replace and upgrade some parts. I don't really understand bike components on a decent level, so I seek your advice. Here are the parts that I want to replace:

1. 9-speed crankset Shimano FC-M430 44x32x22T, 175mm.

I scratched it pretty badly, that's why I want to replace it. I have nothing against a similar model, but, maybe, I can replace it with something more lightweight?

I wonder if Shimano Deore M590 Triple Chainset 175mm - 22.32.44t - 68/73mm - Black will fit: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40496

2. BB-UN26 bottom bracket.

It emits a chirring noise... I want something silent.

3. Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres, 26 x 2.25.

These are too thin, I already had some punctures in the past. I would want something similar, but more protected.

4. Scape Active 8 saddle.

I would want something softer. This saddle is a real pain in the butt.

5. Mudguards.

SKS Velo 65 Mountain set doesn't fit - there is no hole in the front fork; front SKS Shockboard doesn't fit - cables in front of the fork get in the way. I wonder if any mudguards can fit this bike at all.

I will be glad to hear any recommendations!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    1 and 2 - The crankset you linked to comes with an external BB, so facing the BB shell is recommended.
    3 - Tyres - punctures happen, hence new tubes and puncture kits. There are millions of tyres - be prepared for millions of opinions.
    4 - Soft saddles are often more painful as they support in the wrong places. Charge Spoon seems to fit most butts but it's not soft.
    5 - Neoguard or Mucky Nutz for me in really nasty weather. Keeps some crud out of your eyes.h
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Smart sam tyres are poor for any 'real' MTBing, describe your style of riding and the surface you ride on for some meaningful advice!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • izumi
    cooldad wrote:
    Charge Spoon seems to fit most butts but it's not soft.
    cooldad wrote:
    Neoguard or Mucky Nutz for me in really nasty weather.
    Never heard of these, will look into it. Thanks!
    Smart sam tyres are poor for any 'real' MTBing, describe your style of riding and the surface you ride on for some meaningful advice!
    I just ride in the city and in forests - sometimes I hop over a border, but that's it. I don't do any real mtbing, I guess. I live in Moscow, there are plenty of pits, borders, etc. Smart sam tyres suit me well, I just want something more protected.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I changed the wheelset to mavic crossrides and used maxxis advantage tires (2.1 rear and 2.25 front I think) on my 2011 analog, felt like a completely new bike, so much better to ride and pick up speed and seemed like more grip too.
  • The Rookie
    Crossrides are expensive for what you get......better can be had for a lot less money.

Not sure what a pit or border is!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • izumi
    Antm81, that's interesting, thanks for the tip!

The Beginner, I meant pot-holes and curbs. I took a photo today, that's how it looks like: http://i.imgur.com/FPVVsZI.jpg
  • izumi
    I figured out that a chirring noise is coming from Shimano FH-RM66 Disc rear hub. Please tell me if there is a noiseless rear hub that can fit my bike!
  • cooldad
    Shimano are pretty quiet. Stick some grease in the pawls of the freehub.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Chirring when pedaling isn't good news, when you're not it's just freehub noise!
  • izumi
    when you're not it's just freehub noise!
    Thanks for clarifying this. But, do noiseless hubs exist? I really want a silent bike.
  • cooldad
    Shimano are as quiet as you get. Do what I said above.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • izumi
    Ok, thanks!