Wheel/tyre combo for easy puncture repairs

lutrario
lutrario Posts: 4
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Having enormous difficulty changing flats on my 2011 Genesis Latitude (DT Swiss rims/Schwalbe Racing Ralph). They're ridiculously tight, so much so that only one person at an lbs has been able to do it (three could not!) and that was using metal tyre leavers which is obvs not a good idea.

Suffice to say not being able to sort flats on the trail is ruining my mtb experience. Want to change to a lighter wheelset anyway (£300-£450) and was wondering if anybody knew of any makes/models that were easy to fit tyres to. Ideally I'd keep the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (although I've heard these have a reputation for being tight) but if there's a tyre/rim combo that people know is easy to fit I'd like to hear about that too...

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I've got a Continental Rubber Queen and a Mountain King 2 (both Black Chilli) on Stans ArchEX rims. Can put the tyres on and off without levers

you could get the wheels on Switch EVO / Trizoid hubs and the tyres for about £400
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I had Racing Ralphs on Mach 1 sub zero rims on an On-One Inbred, I can't recall any problems taking off or putting on the tyres.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Do you know what rims and hubs you have? or see you you can weight them with tyres, rotors, cassettes etc removed.

I'm thinking the Superstar Crest on Switch hubs deal would suit but not sure if its actually any better than your current setup.

*edit - I use Crest rims with Maxxis tyres and can get tyres on and off very quickly.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    I'll admit to having troubles with my Ralphs too.
    I just have to hope that I only get one puncture - my thumbs can manage one tyre, but not without lots of swearing first.

Have used talc in the past, which seemed to work - but that might have just been luck.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    lutrario wrote:
    Having enormous difficulty changing flats on my 2011 Genesis Latitude (DT Swiss rims/Schwalbe Racing Ralph). They're ridiculously tight, so much so that only one person at an lbs has been able to do it (three could not!) and that was using metal tyre leavers which is obvs not a good idea.

Suffice to say not being able to sort flats on the trail is ruining my mtb experience. Want to change to a lighter wheelset anyway (£300-£450) and was wondering if anybody knew of any makes/models that were easy to fit tyres to. Ideally I'd keep the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (although I've heard these have a reputation for being tight) but if there's a tyre/rim combo that people know is easy to fit I'd like to hear about that too...

Long shot, but are your tyres LUST / UST ?

I bought some UST versions of the Ralphs by accident (bloody On-One web site!) and couldn't fit them on my Crest rims, regular ones ("tubeless ready") are easy to fit.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Two questions:

1: Are Racing Ralphs particularly puncturable? My missus had them on a Giant test bike and had three flats in a 20 mile outing!

2: Are you supposed to pronounce the "L"? The bloke in the Giant shop gave us an odd look when we didn't (as in Ralph Fiennes or Ralph Richardson). Of course, this just made us do it more...
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    1. Yes, lightweight tyres.
    2. Eh? Perhaps you look odd.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I struggled with some of my tyres until I changed the normal rim tape to the stans tubeless tape. It's much thinner and gave that little extra room.