Short Trip: Carbon vs Aluminium.

islwyn
islwyn Posts: 650
edited May 2013 in Tour & expedition
Morning all,

So I've got my first trip coming up, 6 days to Paris (non-direct).
I fancy taking my Carbon bike but I'm being strongly advised to take an alloy bike due to 'road surfaces & strength'? I'll have a Carradice bag coming off the back saddle rails.

Cheers guys, appreciate the help on trips.

Comments

• nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I'm no frame builder but I have done a 5 day trip through the UK.

On day 3 (or mile 240 in total), the chainstay of my carbon frame snapped. Now, it had nothing to do with the distance (we can all put in 1000s of miles in training) but the inconvenience of a catastrophic break are huge. An alloy frame can fail too but perhaps you would be able to at least ride to civilisation/help on one when it breaks.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    This guy did a hell of a tour on a carbon bike. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=279737&v=HN

Personally I don't trust the stuff. heard too many horror stories. I wish I was wrong.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Thanks for replies guys! Looks like the alloy then!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I wrestled with this one... I wanted to take my carbon spesh roubaix comp to france but opted for my giant defy 4 instead. My thinking was that it isn't a bike that is likely to get stolen which might be an issue in paris. and I had my topeak bar mounted bag which I'm told cannot be mounted off a carbon seat post. So aluminium it was for me and a good choice I think. My experience of French roads is that they are hugely superior to what you find in the uk right now ... I didn't go to Paris btw, just brittany and the the loire valley