joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
I need a new set of tyres, my requirements in order are:

Puncture proof - most important thing by far
Comfort
Grip
Speed

What would you recommend? I have some ultra gatorskins at the moment which haven't given me any problems, but they aren't the most comfortable or grippy.

Comments

• CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    The best ones are the ones I'm using. :)
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • strongly recommend conti 4-seasons. not quite as puncture proof as gators but more so that gp4000s - only had 2 in 2000 miles; very grippy and pretty comfortable (coming from rubino pros like riding in an armchair). wiggle got a decent price at the moment
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I am a big fan of Schwalbe Duranos. I use standard rather then plus as they are lighter.

They last ages, resist punctures well and quite grippy.

Last one was good for around 6000-7000 miles spending half of its life up front and half on the back. Actually I find the side wall starts to tear up before the tread runs out. Just bought another last week and I fully expect it to last 18-24 months.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    To be serious though, I don't like Conti. They failed me loads with punctures and one split after 2 months and the inner-tube bulged through the sidewall. I had the same issue with Michelin.

I now use Vredestien TriPros all weather. Great tyre if only a little numb in feeling. Probably owing to the minimum pressure rating of 120psi. They are great in the wet and fast in the dry, weighing in well for a tyre with puncture protection. They are also without all the marketing bollox you get by adding words like "gatorskin". £15 each and wearing very well. I've had one puncture on them where a pin got stuck in my tyre. No tyre would have resisted it.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • joelsim
    Just googled those, nothing available. Where do you buy them?
  • Poacher
    Poacher Posts: 165
    Try googling vredestein tricomp?
    NB I before E doesn't always apply - it's vredestein, not vredestien. Just sayin'.
    Ceps, morelles, trompettes de mort. Breakfast of champignons.
  • joelsim
    Oh well, decided to go for some Rubino Pro tyres. This is for my leisure bike rather than my commuter. In red :-0
  • Pro or Pro Tech, I find the Pros a bit twitchy in the wet. GP4000s are an outstanding tyre imo, just need to be very careful when fitting them as they seem more prone to tube/sideall issues. I've never had a problem since I started moving the sidewall away from the rim and checking no tube is visible, a good habbit to have when fitting any tyre tbh.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I've done 1000 miles on my first set of GP4000s tyres, been flawless so far.
  • joelsim
    Pro. (Not the slicks)

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-tyr ... 80309.html

I doubt whether I'll be using this bike much in the wet, got my other for that.
  • dorchef
    dorchef Posts: 13
    Pro 4 endurance, love em. Improved on my old favourite kryllions.