Fork removal help please.

brucie0000
brucie0000 Posts: 25
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm trying to remove the front fork on my Kona and can't seem to release it?
Obviously I've removed the stem and spacers, from here it won't drop out, not even with a tap with a mallet.
I carried out a search on here and came up with the centring wedge. I checked on mine and it looks like one but its made from plastic, not easily removeable and didn't want to go butchering it out?

Any ideas?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • brucie0000
    I already have, and came up with another issue which I mentioned in the first post.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try pushing down on the forks to lessen pressure on the wedge. If that doesn't help, tap harder.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • brucie0000
    edited May 2013
    Is it likely to be a plastic wedge?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    can be.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • brucie0000
    Ok, ideal. I'll have another crack tomorrow.

Nothing else i may need to look for?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, if you've removed the stem etc all that's holding it in is friction. Big whack job done.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    Nope, if you've removed the stem etc all that's holding it in is friction. Big whack job done.

Thor is your friend:

lcopper10__1332446660_10688490.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sometimes it can take a good solid beating to get it to move, especially if it's steel steerer and gone rusty, once it moves tap the top cap down and then pull the wedge up.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • brucie0000
    Got it! Used a small right angled Allen key while pushing down on the forks to squeeze the wedge out. Think I may just replace the headset while its in bits.
    Thanks for all your help guys. Think I've learnt more about bikes in the last week, than in my entire life beforehand!