It's been about a decade....

Maro
Maro Posts: 226
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
It's been about 10 years since I regularly rode but a recent trip to the forest has re-ignited the flame.

Although I'm still fond of my current steed I think it's time for something more modern that suits my slightly more matured mentality and intended trail adventures. I used to ride a bit of everything, mostly jumps and downhill, so my 1999 DMR Trailstar build with MCR forks and heavy Atom Lab wheels can still hold it's own. After a fair amount of internet shopping and reading about what's hot right now it seems I'm not quite as out of touch as I first thought.

However, I still don't know what to be looking for. I've got a budget of around £1k, a bit more if I have to, I plan to ride XC mostly but with a tendancy towards the downs more than the ups. Would you call it "enduro" or "all mountain"? I would be happy to build a bike but I understand there's better value in buying a complete package, but there's always something your not happy with, isn't there?

Nearly all bikes I've seen have 30 gears, not sure I need a triple chainset, one would do, or perhaps 2? Do I stick to what I know and find a good hardtail? Or should I try a full bouncer? (Do people still say that?) I have to say I like the look of the Canyon Nerve AL

Any advice or helpful links to find a siutable ride muchly appreciated.
Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.

Comments

• paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    The best thing to do is try out as many bikes as you can, bike shops, demo days/events etc. You can obviously take a punt on something you like the look of on the web but it probably won't be the best option just because it looks good.

Try to ride them on the kind of trails that you want to be riding on, just because it feels good on the flat doesn't mean that it will inspire confidence on a rooty downhill section.

£1k would get you a half decent entry level full sus bike, but a better spec'd hardtail, very much a personal choice.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Building a bike will work out cheaper only if you are prepared to buy 'good used' parts to complete the build, this is what I did (Hardtail, circa £550 and 10.5Kg, see link in sig to my Kraken though it needs updating!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.