Neck pain

AllanES
AllanES Posts: 151
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I know it's probably something specific to me and difficult to identify or advise on but........

On long rides I get neck pain. Usually between my shoulder blades and above that to the base of my neck. Is there any generalisation anyone would be willing to make in terms of what I might need to change? Or is it just more time on the bike?
Shorter stem? Flip the stem? Different geometry bike? (I ride a Triban 3). Smaller bike? I'm 6'1" and ride a 60 frame.

Thanks for any comments.
Red Triban 3
Giant Defy 1

Comments

• dynamicbrick
    dynamicbrick Posts: 460
    It's specific, and best cured with a bike fit.

I had a period of getting it on my 60cm Trek (I'm 6' 4") as it had a long top tube and stem and I was stretching too much to the hoods - thus compressing my shoulder blades and effectively making me shrug continuously. Much happier neck on my 60cm Cube, as the TT and stem are much shorter on that.
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    I found this today after 35 miles, I put it down to the angle my body and holding my head up, so using muscles in my neck that I am not used to using, ie, the same as looking up for ages!!!
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • AllanES
    I had a period of getting it on my 60cm Trek (I'm 6' 4") as it had a long top tube and stem and I was stretching too much to the hoods - thus compressing my shoulder blades and effectively making me shrug continuously. Much happier neck on my 60cm Cube, as the TT and stem are much shorter on that.

That's it exactly. I feel like I've been shrugging for several hours. Maybe I should look at a shorter stem as a quick/cheaper cure. My current bike has 110mm stem & I gather even a bit shorter makes a significant difference.
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • AllanES
    KevChallis wrote:
    I found this today after 35 miles, I put it down to the angle my body and holding my head up, so using muscles in my neck that I am not used to using, ie, the same as looking up for ages!!!

Yep! It does feel like I'm continuously looking up in a way I wouldn't normally do for several hours.
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • Mart74
    Mart74 Posts: 111
    I've been getting neck pain exactly the same too.

I've only been riding just over 3 weeks and covered about 250 miles. It's getting better each time I go out so I think it's probably just me getting used tot he riding position.
    I did 2 hours (30 miles) yesterday and it was much better than before.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Your head is quite heavy and riding a drop bar bike puts a lot of strain on your neck muscles if not used to holding your head at an angle. Try flipping stem and change hand position regularly, particularly on the tops.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I had the same after doing some 20k rides as went for a fit at cadence sport and almost immediately I felt like I could do much further distances. I did a 50 yesterday which left me aching but in sure that's down to the tougher ride but overall I'm better after the fit.
    On the fit my stem was changed from 110mm to 70mm
    Living MY dream.
  • AllanES
    VTech wrote:
    On the fit my stem was changed from 110mm to 70mm

Yes, my stem is currently 110mm and I was thinking of going shorter - perhaps try an 80mm one.
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Such a small change but makes the world of difference. I also find that I can get down on the bike much better now.
    Living MY dream.