Superstar Switch Hubs - Bearing Replacement

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Okay, finally got round to replacing the bearings in my hubs, but I'm struggling to drift the bearings out. Any tips? Don't want to damage anything by hitting it too hard :roll: I'm using a flat head screwdriver and rubber mallet.

Front Wheel - end cap removed, but still has part of it in the wheel which apparently gets drifted out with the bearings

Rear Wheel - end caps fully removed, bearings exposed, but won't budge.

Comments

• levolon
    levolon Posts: 78
    tap each side so it comes out even

it does pop out but some are tight ...

my back wheel ones popped straight out also but the front was tighter..
  • Greer_
    Got the rear bearings out with a good bit of persuasion. However there's no lip on the front bearings to knock them out, they're flush with the inside axle sleeve :?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The axle sleeve floats on o-rings. Push the sleeve to one side and you will be able to get purchase on the bearing with a drift.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Greer_
    Yeah the rear sleeve had a lot of float but the front one doesn't budge. Guessing I just need to push the sleeve out harder?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The front axle sleeve on the 2 hubs I have serviced was stiff you need to give it a good nudge and it only moves a couple of mm just enough to get a drift onto the bearing. Having 3 hands does help :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Greer_
    Haha I'm still trying, it just keeps slipping.