numb fingers

mekkhombre
mekkhombre Posts: 19
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I started road cycling 8 weeks ago and am completely hooked. I have started a training plan which aims towards a 50 mile ride at the end. Things are going well but i keep getting numbness in the tips of my fingers. Any theories or similar experiences out there.

Comments

• pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    It's a thing that happens, usually due to gripping too tight onto the bars or staying in the same position too long

I still get it now and again and usually just shake out my fingers to get the blood back..

Keep changing you hand position and make fist movements to keep it away and just concentrate on your riding,
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Could also be that your position is not quite right on the bike.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Or that you've been riding in the cold!
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    It's a thing that happens, usually due to gripping too tight onto the bars or staying in the same position too long

I still get it now and again and usually just shake out my fingers to get the blood back..

Keep changing you hand position and make fist movements to keep it away and just concentrate on your riding,

+1

Try relaxing your hands, Rest them on the bars and try no to grip them. New riders, like yourself do have a habit of feeling they have to grip the bars tightly (not on purpose) and have their hands on or near the brakes all the time. When you ride more and get more confident, you will naturally relax and your instinct of where you need to have your hands will change.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It can be lots of things. Gloves that are too tight, too much weight on your hands (i.e. position on the bike), gripping too tightly...me, I have to avoid gloves with elasticated cuffs!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mekkhombre
    mekkhombre Posts: 19
    lc1981 wrote:
    Or that you've been riding in the cold!

I know its not the cold as i live in southern spain and has been 30 degrees recently
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    cold :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    I think, it is quite normal to get numb fingers, cold feet and the like during long tours. It definitely helps to move the hands and toes, trample, stretch your arms, legs and back (including your neck), etc. The stiffer you are, the more it will hurt. A lot of finger trouble comes from a stiff neck, because the nerves from the fingers enter the spine there. Relaxed shoulders work wonders.