Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Which wheelset for my TCR

s1mons1mon Posts: 618
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have one of these http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 309/49803/ and I'd like to upgrade the wheels. I can go upto £1000 but I prefer to spend half that as I'm more of a fair weather/social rider :D so what would be a nice noticeable upgrade ? I'd also like a set with a bit of red on to brighten the bike up a little.

Thanks.
«1

Posts

  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    Get some planet x 50mm deep carbon wheels. About £400.
    They haven't got red on but red stickers would cost less than £600.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 27,716
    cougie wrote:
    Get some planet x 50mm deep carbon wheels. About £400.
    They haven't got red on but red stickers would cost less than £600.

    200 extra for red stickers seems a fair deal... :wink:
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    Get some built on red hubs (e.g Hope).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 27,716
    smidsy wrote:
    Get some built on red hubs (e.g Hope).

    ... anodised red rims on Dura Ace?

    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... CCEQ9QEwAg

    EDIT: looking at a detail of the front hub, the build is atrocious... nobody should buy these wheels :evil:
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    Yuk!

    I was thinking more like this but red hubs

    http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... de-earlier
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • s1mons1mon Posts: 618
    I like the look of these http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... t-11-44557 but the reviews put me off :(
  • cyclecliniccycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Chris King Classic hubs perhaps in red with red alloy nipples. Now I know I am not a fan of the R45 hub but they do look good with silver archetype rims, silver spokes and red nipples. I did a build with customer supplied hubs and it good thing he bought 32H hubs. They do look good. They are now a bike somewhere near cambridge. This build at least complemented the hubs dimesnions.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 27,716
    s1mon wrote:
    I like the look of these http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... t-11-44557 but the reviews put me off :(

    50 mm alloy rims are very heavy, typically 700 grams per rim, which is a lot... it means they lack acceleration and on a long day of ondulating riding they can crucify you... a very powerful rider can cope with them, otherwise best to avoid...
  • s1mons1mon Posts: 618
    Ok so I'm going for some custom built wheels, decided on red Hope Pro 3's with black H Plus Son Archetype rims but not sure on,

    Round or bladed spoke &

    Red or black nipples :roll: what do you think will look best with my bike ?

    Thanks.
  • dwanesdwanes Posts: 954
    Good idea on the Hope pro 3's, BUT skip the Archetype rims, the don't look good once the finish on the brake track has worn through after a couple of rides.
    I sold mine on and went for some Mavic CXP33 rims, these are just as deep and have a much nicer finish and stay that way.
    I would go black spokes and black nipples if available.
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    I would do with round spokes and make sure you get brass nipples.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • dwanesdwanes Posts: 954
    Dont fret over brass or alloy nipples. Brass nipples don't really have much advantage over alloy ones.
    Corrosion of alloy shouldn't be too much of an issue for most people.
  • ck101ck101 Posts: 222
    The existing Hoops are well regarded. As you say if you are a "fair weather/social rider'' keep your money. I had a similar situation last year as I own an Izalco Pro with a similar level stock wheel set and bought a set of Ksyrium elites for it. it wasn't worthwhile. The Ksyriums are lighter and look good but the DTSwiss 1800 were fine.

    Think of all the things you can buy for a Grand. An upgrade kit to Di2 would be a more worthwhile investment, pick up a second hand set of Carbones or Ksyrium elites if yourre that determined.
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    Ck101 wrote:
    Think of all the things you can buy for a Grand. An upgrade kit to Di2 would be a more worthwhile investment, pick up a second hand set of Carbones or Ksyrium elites if yourre that determined.

    Do not listen to this man - he is clearly derranged :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    dwanes wrote:
    Dont fret over brass or alloy nipples. Brass nipples don't really have much advantage over alloy ones.
    Corrosion of alloy shouldn't be too much of an issue for most people.

    IME this is bad advice.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 27,716
    dwanes wrote:
    Dont fret over brass or alloy nipples. Brass nipples don't really have much advantage over alloy ones.
    Corrosion of alloy shouldn't be too much of an issue for most people.

    Real life story, three weeks ago or so

    http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... -my-review
  • Camcycle1974Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    smidsy wrote:
    dwanes wrote:
    Dont fret over brass or alloy nipples. Brass nipples don't really have much advantage over alloy ones.
    Corrosion of alloy shouldn't be too much of an issue for most people.

    IME this is bad advice.

    From the same bloke who sold his Archetypes and bought crack prone Mavic rims just because the anodised coating rubs off the Archetype (facepalm)
  • galatzogalatzo Posts: 1,295
    Don't put any red on it.
    Before you know it you'll be experimenting with red tyres and bat tape.
    Fulcrum Zeros and spare cash towards a trip abroad.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • dwanesdwanes Posts: 954
    smidsy wrote:
    dwanes wrote:
    Dont fret over brass or alloy nipples. Brass nipples don't really have much advantage over alloy ones.
    Corrosion of alloy shouldn't be too much of an issue for most people.

    IME this is bad advice.

    From the same bloke who sold his Archetypes and bought crack prone Mavic rims just because the anodised coating rubs off the Archetype (facepalm)
    A lot of people are buying the archetypes because of their looks. Fact. Funny how many people only show off thier archetypes when they are brand new, rarely comment on the wear and poor brake track and then go off and hide because they are no longer pretty all in black.
    I sold the archetypes because i didnt like the feel of wide rims compared to narrow ones not because of the brake track Issue.

    Mavic cxp33 are a better quality rim, and
  • dwanesdwanes Posts: 954
    dwanes wrote:
    Dont fret over brass or alloy nipples. Brass nipples don't really have much advantage over alloy ones.
    Corrosion of alloy shouldn't be too much of an issue for most people.

    Real life story, three weeks ago or so

    http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... -my-review
    You cant use this example of a factory set of unconvensional wheels to knock all alloy nipples. Thats plain daft.
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    We are not.

    Even Factory companies accept the allow nipple issue. e.g. American Classic go to great lengths to point out that they have changed the spoke/nipple interface design to combat the well known alloy nipple fatigue issues.

    Brass nipples are simply better - period.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Camcycle1974Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    dwanes wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    dwanes wrote:
    Dont fret over brass or alloy nipples. Brass nipples don't really have much advantage over alloy ones.
    Corrosion of alloy shouldn't be too much of an issue for most people.

    IME this is bad advice.

    From the same bloke who sold his Archetypes and bought crack prone Mavic rims just because the anodised coating rubs off the Archetype (facepalm)
    A lot of people are buying the archetypes because of their looks. Fact. Funny how many people only show off thier archetypes when they are brand new, rarely comment on the wear and poor brake track and then go off and hide because they are no longer pretty all in black.
    I sold the archetypes because i didnt like the feel of wide rims compared to narrow ones not because of the brake track Issue.

    Mavic cxp33 are a better quality rim, and

    Of course you are perfectly entitled to your opinion but I think there would be a few people who would take issue with your statement that the Mavic is a better rim than the Archetype. Changing them as you didn't like the feel is different (and reasonable) to changing them for cosmetic reasons which is what you alluded to in your post. The grey ones don't suffer to the same extent from loss of anodisation btw,
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    smidsy wrote:
    dwanes wrote:
    Dont fret over brass or alloy nipples. Brass nipples don't really have much advantage over alloy ones.
    Corrosion of alloy shouldn't be too much of an issue for most people.

    IME this is bad advice.

    From the same bloke who sold his Archetypes and bought crack prone Mavic rims just because the anodised coating rubs off the Archetype (facepalm)

    Have I missed something?

    I have never had Archetypes and I will never own Mavics.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • letap73letap73 Posts: 1,608
    smidsy wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    dwanes wrote:
    Dont fret over brass or alloy nipples. Brass nipples don't really have much advantage over alloy ones.
    Corrosion of alloy shouldn't be too much of an issue for most people.

    IME this is bad advice.

    From the same bloke who sold his Archetypes and bought crack prone Mavic rims just because the anodised coating rubs off the Archetype (facepalm)

    Have I missed something?

    I have never had Archetypes and I will never own Mavics.

    I think the reference is to Dwanes and its a shame that you'll miss out on the excellence of Mavic Wheels as attested to by numerous reviewers on the net :wink:
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    letap73 wrote:
    Its a shame that you'll miss out on the excellence of Mavic Wheels as attested to by numerous reviewers on the net :wink:

    Internet Lemmings the lot of em :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Camcycle1974Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    letap73 wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    dwanes wrote:
    Dont fret over brass or alloy nipples. Brass nipples don't really have much advantage over alloy ones.
    Corrosion of alloy shouldn't be too much of an issue for most people.

    IME this is bad advice.

    From the same bloke who sold his Archetypes and bought crack prone Mavic rims just because the anodised coating rubs off the Archetype (facepalm)

    Have I missed something?

    I have never had Archetypes and I will never own Mavics.

    I think the reference is to Dwanes and its a shame that you'll miss out on the excellence of Mavic Wheels as attested to by numerous reviewers on the net :wink:

    There are numerous references of the CXP33 rim being prone to cracking. I have an old set of Open Pro Ceramic CD's which are lovely to ride so certainly not tarring all Mavic rims with the same brush.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 27,716
    letap73 wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    dwanes wrote:
    Dont fret over brass or alloy nipples. Brass nipples don't really have much advantage over alloy ones.
    Corrosion of alloy shouldn't be too much of an issue for most people.

    IME this is bad advice.

    From the same bloke who sold his Archetypes and bought crack prone Mavic rims just because the anodised coating rubs off the Archetype (facepalm)

    Have I missed something?

    I have never had Archetypes and I will never own Mavics.

    I think the reference is to Dwanes and its a shame that you'll miss out on the excellence of Mavic Wheels as attested to by numerous reviewers on the net :wink:

    There are numerous references of the CXP33 rim being prone to cracking. I have an old set of Open Pro Ceramic CD's which are lovely to ride so certainly not tarring all Mavic rims with the same brush.

    The only CXP 33 I ever got to built was faulty... one eyelet was missing... as we were in a rush due to the wheel being needed, I replaced it with a rim washer... the rim built OK, didn't get the feeling they were anything to WOW about or to discard as junk... in the same price point, there are better rims.
  • dwanesdwanes Posts: 954
    letap73 wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    dwanes wrote:
    Dont fret over brass or alloy nipples. Brass nipples don't really have much advantage over alloy ones.
    Corrosion of alloy shouldn't be too much of an issue for most people.

    IME this is bad advice.

    From the same bloke who sold his Archetypes and bought crack prone Mavic rims just because the anodised coating rubs off the Archetype (facepalm)

    Have I missed something?

    I have never had Archetypes and I will never own Mavics.

    I think the reference is to Dwanes and its a shame that you'll miss out on the excellence of Mavic Wheels as attested to by numerous reviewers on the net :wink:

    There are numerous references of the CXP33 rim being prone to cracking. I have an old set of Open Pro Ceramic CD's which are lovely to ride so certainly not tarring all Mavic rims with the same brush.

    The only CXP 33 I ever got to built was faulty... one eyelet was missing... as we were in a rush due to the wheel being needed, I replaced it with a rim washer... the rim built OK, didn't get the feeling they were anything to WOW about or to discard as junk... in the same price point, there are better rims.

    I dont think any rim of that type to be WOW. including Archetypes with a worn brake track.
    If I bought a Ford focus and it broke down coming out of the showroom, does that mean all Ford Focuses are faulty and nobody should buy one? (must admit I wouldnt buy one)
  • Camcycle1974Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Fair point. I think Ugo was just pointing out that the CXP33 is fine but there are better options out there for a mid-range rim. Archetypes are obviously not your bag, a chacun son gout.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 27,716
    dwanes wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    dwanes wrote:
    Dont fret over brass or alloy nipples. Brass nipples don't really have much advantage over alloy ones.
    Corrosion of alloy shouldn't be too much of an issue for most people.

    IME this is bad advice.

    From the same bloke who sold his Archetypes and bought crack prone Mavic rims just because the anodised coating rubs off the Archetype (facepalm)

    Have I missed something?

    I have never had Archetypes and I will never own Mavics.

    I think the reference is to Dwanes and its a shame that you'll miss out on the excellence of Mavic Wheels as attested to by numerous reviewers on the net :wink:

    There are numerous references of the CXP33 rim being prone to cracking. I have an old set of Open Pro Ceramic CD's which are lovely to ride so certainly not tarring all Mavic rims with the same brush.

    The only CXP 33 I ever got to built was faulty... one eyelet was missing... as we were in a rush due to the wheel being needed, I replaced it with a rim washer... the rim built OK, didn't get the feeling they were anything to WOW about or to discard as junk... in the same price point, there are better rims.

    I dont think any rim of that type to be WOW. including Archetypes with a worn brake track.
    If I bought a Ford focus and it broke down coming out of the showroom, does that mean all Ford Focuses are faulty and nobody should buy one? (must admit I wouldnt buy one)

    When you have built several hundred rims you develop a feel for a good quality product and a mediocre one... the way it builds, the amount of time you have spend correcting rim inaccuracy, the tension it takes, the tension it does not take... a bit like you can hold an avocado or a mango and tell that it's ripe or only find out once you open it. When you have developed a feel for avocados, you stop buying green ones.
    I wasn't mentioning the stickers or the way the alloys wear upon braking, I leave that to you. CXP 33 built fair, Archetype typically builds very well... I don't like the rattling eyelets in CXP 33, I suspect the missing one was not an isolated case and anyway tells you about QC at Mavic. Before I went to the local recycling centre, I had a couple of exploded CXP 33 in the back yard, together with another 2 Open PRO... they could make an effort and drill a couple of wear indicators as other manufacturers do... most people can't judge for themselves
Sign In or Register to comment.