Dropper Posts for Big Units

mcnultycop
mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm currently about 117kg, I'd promised myself a KS LEV dropper post when I get to 100kg, their suggested limit is 95kg, but being realistic 95kg is virtually impossible for me, as I do a lot of weights so even without the fat I'm still a big unit (85kg lean).

I see On-One have Reverbs in at the moment for £180, which seems a decent deal, especially compared to the price of the Levs. I do like the tidiness of the Lev though, without the loops of cable bunching up when the post is dropped.

Do any other big units run a dropper post, and if so which ones and have there been any issues; movement when pedaling, maintenance issues, etc?

Comments

• brindlescoops
    brindlescoops Posts: 465
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I'm currently about 117kg, I'd promised myself a KS LEV dropper post when I get to 100kg, their suggested limit is 95kg, but being realistic 95kg is virtually impossible for me, as I do a lot of weights so even without the fat I'm still a big unit (85kg lean).

I see On-One have Reverbs in at the moment for £180, which seems a decent deal, especially compared to the price of the Levs. I do like the tidiness of the Lev though, without the loops of cable bunching up when the post is dropped.

Do any other big units run a dropper post, and if so which ones and have there been any issues; movement when pedaling, maintenance issues, etc?

Reverb is your friend, i have been riding one from 125kg down to close to 100kg now and it has been faultless over that time.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    have a look at this thread http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... r-chubbies
      forgot to post the response from KS - I did get this email:

There is no rider weight limit.

Respectfully,

Ron Easton
      KS USA
      26741 Portola Pkwy 1E658
      Foothill Ranch CA 92610

I wonder why bike discount put a weight limit?

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • mcnultycop
      Nice one, cheers.
    • peter413
      peter413 Posts: 5,120
      I'm well over 100kg and use a Lev. I checked with KS also and they confirmed there is no weight limit. Unfortunately I can't comment on reliability because it has had issues since I first got it over 6 months ago which are supposedly fixed now but I only got one ride on it before I snapped my frame and now I'm having fork issues so still can't ride with it because my spare frames are 27.2, not 30.9 :(

Comparing a Lev to a Reverb quickly though as I've used both. The Reverb does seem slightly smoother in operation I'm afraid to say (not to say the Lev isn't smooth) but unless you get the stealth version, you have the horrible loop of cable that can damage frames easier, get caught in tyre's, shorts etc. and just generally be a nuisance. Also, the remote is worse on the Reverb IMHO. It's smooth to use but it's harder to reach for and if you run 2 shifters, you have to run it above the bars which is even harder to reach and much easier to damage. Also, I know one or two people who have had pretty horrific crashes because they caught their shorts on the Reverb lever. No such issues with the Lev lever, mount where and how you want no matter how many shifters you use or if you want it on the left or right. Not to mention the fact that a cable is easier to change than bleed a hydraulic line or replace one (and cheaper).
    • mcnultycop
      It is definitely the Lev I want.

I'm going to hang on and see if I can get one for a sensible price soon, £250 or so is a bit too much at the moment.