Crash recovery

buccal
buccal Posts: 53
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
So I stacked it yesterday after making the schoolboy error of too much speed into a very wet corner.

Hit the ground hard but fortunately no major injuries. First really big off in 3 years of cycling.

Checked the bike over and rode the 15 miles home on the basis that the best thing to do is get straight back on.

This morning I can barely bend my left leg, road rash, bruised ribs (which kill) and a sprained right thumb.

Any tips for a quick recovery both physically and mentally?

I feel a bit shaken up and am dreading the next wet ride, was very panicky on the ride home.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Lots of things you can do for the physical side of things. But you need to make sure that you ensure your road rash is really clean and that you use a good dressing to ensure it stays that way.

As for the aches & pains can still to the old adage of RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) for the first day or two. Plus perhaps some ibuprofen or arnica if you prefer the herbal option. Once your over the first few days then get out and do some gentle walking or if you feel like it get the bike on the turbo. Getting your body going get your cardiovascular system up and working and get oxygenated blood pumping all around your body.

As for the mental side there are no short cuts really as it depends on you some will tell you to get back on it and forget it, others say look for the positives etc.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Compression
    Ice
    Drink
    Elevation
    Rest
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    Im with Dan on this one RICE, I have found is always the best way to recover from most sprains etc, in any sport
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I had a similar big crash about 8 weeks ago, left thigh still not right but it took me 5 or 6 days before i could go out and do a gentle circuit again. I still dont have my nerve back for fast descents but I do stay in my comfort zone a lot more and wear out my brake pads faster.
    My downhill Strava times are mediocre now but I'm riding a lot safer. I'm happy with that. Dont rush it.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Another one for RICE, particularly compression. After a while you'll look back and think, 'Actually, it wasn't so bad'.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Maybe I should've put the capitals in bold.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Maybe I should've put the capitals in bold.

I see what you did now.

Bath
    Eat
    Early night
    Rest
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • walney
    walney Posts: 35
    If you suspect a rib injury, make sue you take plenty of deep steady breaths. I know from injuring my ribs you can be cautious about breathing deeply but if you don't it can lead to chest infections.

I
  • buccal
    buccal Posts: 53
    Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Road rash and thumb are much better following the advice given.

Ribs will take a couple of months i reckon as i have broken them previously.

Going to try and have a very steady run on the bike this weekend.

The concern is if i leave it too long its going to be a struggle to get my confidence back quickly.

Wasn't this difficult when i was a kid!
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    buccal wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Road rash and thumb are much better following the advice given.

Ribs will take a couple of months i reckon as i have broken them previously.

Going to try and have a very steady run on the bike this weekend.

The concern is if i leave it too long its going to be a struggle to get my confidence back quickly.

Wasn't this difficult when i was a kid!

Everyone's different of course but I had a bad off 4 weeks ago and fractured three ribs (among other injuries) I was back on the turbo today and last week giving it major effort (max HR today) doing Angels so your couple of months for the ribs sounds pessimistic to me. Going to try a wee run on the road on Fri myself reckon the only thing that could bother me is road buzz and bumps but I'm defo ok on the turbo so going to try it.

Best of luck with your recovery
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Bruised ribs - really painful for the first few days, after a couple of weeks I could cycle again at reasonable effort.
    Road rash - clean it well, some antiseptic and it'll heal quite quickly.

Have some rest in the meantime until the worst of the injuries ease off. I was off the bike for nearly a week, then got back on for some gentle rides until the ribs healed.

Then I fell off again :lol:
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava