When are the French going to get a GT contender?

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited May 2013 in Pro race
Even we've got 2!
I can't count Tommy V. !

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    When Pinot leaves FDJ
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    And when Rolland gets a chance to ride purely for himself?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    JC Peraud would have been right in the mix at this Giro with just the sort of time trialling that would have suited him. Unfortunately he's saving himself for Le Tour, where given this year's route and the competition, he doesn't stand a chance of making the top 5.
  • HiCadence
    HiCadence Posts: 40
    Pineau, Rolland and Pinot all have some potential but they need to be at better teams.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    In 2-3 years time maybe, Johan Le Bon.

He’s there at the Giro learning the ropes, his first big tour.

I suppose the same arguments about a different team might apply to him too.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    The French are fast becoming a class act - they have got a whole host of youth waiting to break through.

Rolland, Pinot, Bardet, Pineau amongst others
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Haven't seen him a lot (Deadcalm should know more considering he was in Bretagne Schuller), so no idea at all if he'd go on to GC contention ever, but Warren Barguil's been decent so far.
  • DeadCalm
    HiCadence wrote:
    Pineau, Rolland and Pinot all have some potential but they need to be at better teams.
    Jérôme Pineau? Too old to suddenly become a GC contender, surely?

I think you're being a bit harsh on the French teams too. Europcar showed a couple of years ago that they were able to rise to the occasion when Voeckler was in yellow for that extended time. FDJ less so but if they had a genuine challenger (Pinot sadly is not in my opinion) I'm sure they'd find the riders to support him.
    knedlicky wrote:
    In 2-3 years time maybe, Johan Le Bon.

He’s there at the Giro learning the ropes, his first big tour.

I suppose the same arguments about a different team might apply to him too.

I'd love it if that were the case but see him more as a one day and short stage race rider than a future GT contender. I don't think he's ever shown that he's likely to be able to climb well enough. He'd certainly need to lose some weight.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Delete - wrong thread
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    DeadCalm wrote:
    HiCadence wrote:
    HiCadence will likely mean Cedric Pineau.
  • DeadCalm
    Haven't seen him a lot (Deadcalm should know more considering he was in Bretagne Schuller), so no idea at all if he'd go on to GC contention ever, but Warren Barguil's been decent so far.
    Warren Barguil is still young but definitely has potential. He's potentially a very exciting climber indeed. I'd love to see him given a chance in the TDF this year by Argos-Shimano.
  • DeadCalm
    knedlicky wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    HiCadence wrote:
    HiCadence will likely mean Cedric Pineau.
    Ah, ok. I'd forgotten him. Not sure he's done anything to really suggest he would ever be able to challenge for a Grand Tour though.
  • powerbookboy
    powerbookboy Posts: 241
    The French are fast becoming a class act - they have got a whole host of youth waiting to break through.

Rolland, Pinot, Bardet, Pineau amongst others

Also they may be on a more level playing field these days. Post Festina they were at a huge competitive disadvantage due to their Federation actually bothering to test people...