Chamois cream v vaseline

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited May 2013 in Road general
I've been using Vaseline for few years now but I'm starting to wonder about shifting to chamois cream instead.

Has anyone tried both? Did you prefer one over the other?

Also, is chamois cream basically just nappy rash cream and therefore a generic product its cheaper to buy from, say, Mothercare or Boots etc?

Comments

• crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Wife bought a tub of the Assos chamois cream for me at xmas, the only difference between it and the 89p nappy rash cream that I usually buy from Savers that I noticed is that it smelt nicer.........but only slightly!
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    It's also anti bacterial. Good hygiene is as important as staving off chafing. Tbh I only use chamois cream for rides over 90 minutes, good quality shorts and bike fit will help as much
  • rodgers73
    Nappy rash cream and chamois cream pretty much interchangeable then??
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    They're not entirely interchangeable - but the weapon of choice for many distance cyclists is Conotrane.

It is easy to apply and serves as both a barrier and an anti-bacterial. Some use Sudocrem - but it's pretty messy and greasy.

I use Assos personally, but only on rides over 2-300km usually - I carry a small tub to keep things topped up. As gavbarron says, hygiene is very very important. Wet wipes are your friend on anything longer than a couple of hundred k.
  • rodgers73
    Cheers for that - will pick up a tub and chuck out the Vaseline!
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    People usually share their vaseline. I'm not sure they'll want to after knowing you've contaminated it. :lol: