SRAM shifter clamps

benengland
benengland Posts: 11
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, just getting ready to pick up my new trance 29er on Friday and am all set to swap out the elixir 3 brakes out for some SLX's but I have just found out that the shifters are matchmakers. After googling most of the night I can only find spares that seem to cost 20 quid a bracket! I could buy used x7 shifters for less than that.

Is anyone aware of a much cheaper way to do it or have any brackets lying around they might want to trade?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One for the wanteds, try here and STW.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I got shifter brackets for £6 each on CRC
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    Sheet metal from a biscuit tin, a lockring from a presta valve, an unused M5 bolt from the frame and about 10 minutes later:

sram_shifter_clamp_home-made_01_zpsa772d80b.jpg

th_sram_shifter_clamp_home-made_03_zps8a4532c3.jpg th_sram_shifter_clamp_home-made_02_zps29a2aee8.jpg

Cost: almost nothing.
  • benengland
    benengland Posts: 11
    Will have to give CRC a call as I can not find them on their website.

Am liking the cheaper option!
  • trigger118
    trigger118 Posts: 191
    How did your call to CRC go? I only ask because I am after the exact same thing for my X7 Shifters.

Like you I got quoted about £20 per bracket by the LBS, seems utterly outrageous to me if I'm honest
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    just found what they're called, discontinued apparently

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=73881
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • simowill
    simowill Posts: 56
    benengland wrote:
    Hi all, just getting ready to pick up my new trance 29er on Friday and am all set to swap out the elixir 3 brakes out for some SLX's but I have just found out that the shifters are matchmakers. After googling most of the night I can only find spares that seem to cost 20 quid a bracket! I could buy used x7 shifters for less than that.

Is anyone aware of a much cheaper way to do it or have any brackets lying around they might want to trade?
    Hi Ben,
    I've got 2 of these clamps that I can swap for the match makers if your still after some.
    Pm me

Simon
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Kona Firemountain HT