scott scale wheel advice?

pip001
pip001 Posts: 133
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
hi, i regulary commute the sixteen miles round trip to work on my 2010 scale 30.i,m thinking of putting some 29er disc wheels on my bike ,hopefully picking some up secondhand.im unsure what sizes to buy as the seem to vary on drop out sizes ect.i was hoping someone would know what sizes i would need to fit the scale.ta

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Whatever are on there now?
    But are you planning on putting 29" wheels on a 26er? You may have some issues.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not with road tyres you won't, works fine.

However... for the cost involved just buy a second hand road bike - you'll potentially need to adjust your calipers every time you change and switch been two chains as cassette wear will be out of sync. It'll end up costing a fair bit and being a faff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1, I run a commuter and an MTB as I can't be doing with the faff and hassle of compromising either!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pip001
    pip001 Posts: 133
    thanks for the comments.i do have a road bike to use but a recent bad should shoulder injury is restricting me to the mtb for a long while with no off roading.the bigger wheels will stay on all this year and be road only.if anyone could help with sizes ect would be helful.also would hybrid disc wheels be any good.appreciate the help ta.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You just need disc hubs and 700c rims, nowt special. Hybrid/cyclocross ones will be fine. You can spend as much or as little as you want.

XT hubs on Open Pros will be a solid reliable set up.