Stem rounded off?

Riggsy12
Riggsy12 Posts: 156
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Been adjusting my stem/spacers today, I must of over tightened one of the stem bolts as its rounded off the thread inside the stem :(

Do I need a new stem now? Cheers.

Comments

• pease
    pease Posts: 150
    Part of me says yes as it could be dangerous and its a good excuse to get some haribo (it was wiggles fault, right?)

But the sensible part of me thinks of one bolt can manage then its fine. Assuming its not a carbon steerer thst you are fixing to ?
    Insert witty signature here
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Not an issue if steerer is carbon or alloy.. the stem bolts just clamp the stem into position and light torque only needed to stop it moving... nothing structural with the headset etc.
    You could try just a cheap tap and die set to re thread or get lbs to do it... 4 or 5 mm ? A set is handy enough for the tool box anyways.

Dont go one bolt though.
  • Riggsy12
    Riggsy12 Posts: 156
    Thanks for quick replies fellas.

Its an ITM ALCOR 80mm stem, so only £20. Kicking myself abit as the stem is brand new!

Ill go hunt another down. Damn im so heavy handed!
  • Giant Phil
    Giant Phil Posts: 116
    Torque wrench. Will save your life.
    Giant SCR, BRIGHT Orange.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Giant Phil wrote:
    Torque wrench. Will save your life.

Exactly. Deda stems require quite a high torque - about 8nm, but most stems only ask for 5-6nm. It's really tempting to do it up as tight as possible, but it's safer to do it to the correct torque; same with the bars.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Tighten it up till the thread strips, then back it off half a turn. :-)
  • vmaxphil
    vmaxphil Posts: 20
    find someone to "heli coil" it for you should cost about a fiver and be a lot stronger
    phil