BB diagnosis & repair

apple eater
apple eater Posts: 302
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Following my last ride at Gorlech trail it appears that my BB's may be kapput. The bike is a vulcan disc spec from 2011

The is a slight clicking when the crank is turned and there is a side to side play in it of about 3 - 5mm.

Are these bb units complete or can the bearings be bought and fitted seperately? Are there special tools (besides the tool to remove the threaded nuts that hold the bb's inside the frame) that i will need?

I have a triple size set of pullers but that's it for now.
I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it all depends on the BB.

so what is fitted?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    If its original it should be a square taper BB. 118mm length IIRC. Is could be ISIS though.

Need 8mm allen key, crank puller and Shimano BB tool.
  • apple eater
    the only info i can get at the moment is that the crank is a Truvativ x-flow. The park tool bit hasn't yet arrived to strip it down yet.
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    could be square taper or a splined BB. take the bolt out and look.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • apple eater
    having now removed the bb the details on it are

chin taur ch52-68 113en bc 1.37x24t i believe square taper looking at the way the crank was set up.

i know it's probably the bog standard one but what can i replace it with?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Any square taper BB, 68x113. 113 is the axle length.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • apple eater
    or what measurements do i take to replace just bearings?

the code on the bearing is 163110-2rs?

outer diameter measures 31mm inner diameter 21mm
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Just replace the unit, they cost about a tenner.
  • apple eater
    the only thing i can find which is better than a two penny job is this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Botto ... 3a77ac9ca1

but if i can get something a little better again i'd be pleased.
  • apple eater
  • apple eater
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    £36 for a square taper? Crazy.
    The Shimano is good quality and should last years. I have BB's that are 25 yrs+ still going strong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shimano, no question....if you're thinking of spending that much, spend another £25 and fit a Deore HT2!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apple eater
    shimano un55 fitted today. It's a bit heavy but hopefully will last longer than the one that came out.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shimano square taper are probably the most reliable BB you can get....not that Chin Haur are bad, but it's not unknown for the UN's to last 3-4 years.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.