Stinger Installation with ISIS BB

BlueDynamo
BlueDynamo Posts: 143
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've bought a Stinger but on reading the instructions on the Blackspire website it says I may have to buy a new BB as I believe I have an ISIS BB? Before I fork out more money or send the Stinger back can someone advise whether it is compatible and what i should be doing to install it?

The Stinger doesn't seem to be able to fit around the what I presume is the bottom bracket shell?

I've attached some photos. The bike is a 08 Carrera Fury.

windowsphone20130511005.jpg

windowsphone20130511004.jpg

windowsphone20130511003.jpg

windowsphone20130511002.jpg

windowsphone20130511001.jpg
"One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

Talk about first world problems."

The_Boy, 13/4/14, Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler" thread

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited May 2013
    Nope needs an external BB so new cranks and BB.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BlueDynamo
    Is there not an alternative chainguide that I could buy to use with my existing bottom bracket and cranks?
    "One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yep, a front mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BlueDynamo
    So just adjust the limit screws on the front mech, shorten the chain and do without the stinger?

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited May 2013
    Yup.....not that you didn't need an upper element with the Stinger anyway....

You can get away with using a stinger with an ISIS is you're current chainline is circa 47.5mm or less, some bikes use a 50mm chainline anyway and putting the stinger behind the BB will give you that.

Oh and to fit it you remove the BB and then bolt it back in with the Stinger in between the two, if it would fit over that end it would just fall off right?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    BlueDynamo wrote:
    I've bought a Stinger but on reading the instructions on the Blackspire website it says I may have to buy a new BB as I believe I have an ISIS BB? Before I fork out more money or send the Stinger back can someone advise whether it is compatible and what i should be doing to install it?

The Stinger doesn't seem to be able to fit around the what I presume is the bottom bracket shell?

I've attached some photos. The bike is a 08 Carrera Fury.

windowsphone20130511005.jpg

windowsphone20130511004.jpg

windowsphone20130511003.jpg

windowsphone20130511002.jpg

windowsphone20130511001.jpg

new Etype BB needed for the bb shell width that you have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown