Tubeless

Shawn1one
Shawn1one Posts: 3
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All
I'm facing a dilemma, being an ardent user of slime tubes over many years I find myself in possession of a most excellent 650 rimmed Scott. Which I spend as much time mending punctures as riding. I spoke to my local 'dealer' who sold me a tubeless conversion, spoke to the mechanic at my local 'dealer' for advice, he told me they are not very compatible with my tyres (Schwalbe Nobby Nics) and are generally more trouble than they are worth! I spoke to another major bike dealer who said they seem to have a lot of customer dissatisfaction with the several types of tubeless kits they supply and that they are far from convinced this is the way forward.
On top of all this, no one makes a slime or self sealing tube for a bloody 650!
Any pearls of wisdom gratefully accepted. Going for a lay down now after pumping up tyre yet again.
Regards David

Comments

• islandman
    islandman Posts: 73
    Well I use Stans rims now and find them perfect for me but before used Stans tubeless conversion aka rim strips, they can be a faff sometimes to seal but where would you like to faff, in your shed or on the trail ? I'm for the conversion kits every time, so good to know your ride wouldn't be spoiled by p**ctures. P.S. also use Nobby Nics no problem.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I run 650b and have tubeless on schwalbe. What rims do you have? With the right tape (I use stans, but Schwalbe, DT whatever, all good) and a little patience and you'll be ok. Bit of a faff to get going sometimes, some tyres go straight on, others need a compressor to start them off I find, but once done you're set.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Shawn1one
    Shawn1one Posts: 3
    Hi
    I'm on Alexrims xcss ' syncros' and my schwalbes say they are tubeless ready on the sidewall. I've got 'stan's tape etc unfortunately they donuts make the rubber insert tape with the integral valve in a 650 yet.
    Thanks for your advice so far tho.