gearing questions

cobby1970
cobby1970 Posts: 450
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I,m just getting parts together for my whippet build and am unsure on a couple of things if anyone can assistI am going to be using slx gearing and have bought a medium cage rear mech, does having a medium cage mean I can only run a double crankset?Also i,m on the lookout for the slx crankset and want to know what the difference is between a double and a tripleIs the spacing between the gears the same , so is a double basically a triple but instead of a 3rd ring it has a bashguard instead?Hope that all makes sense what i,m asking, it does to me :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Look up the capacity of the mech on the shimano website in the techdocs and work it out, rule of thumb is that medium is for doubles...sometimes you can stretch that a bit but it won't keep the chain taught in small/small.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/bl ... ID=jWfYe2K

Distance between chainwheels does stay the same, the double and bash uses more robust parts than the triple and is slightly heavier but yes is effectievly a triple without the outer ring and with a bash insted, can't recall if they do a double without a bash but if they do, it's likley to not have the shoulders for an outer ring/bash.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cobby1970
    cobby1970 Posts: 450
    Thank you thats about answered it
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099