Riding whilst tired

gerroffandmilkit
gerroffandmilkit Posts: 160
edited May 2013 in Road general
Whimped out on a post work ride tonight.

I've been putting some long hours in at work recently. So much so that I often feel drained when I arrive home. Did plan on a ride out tonight but just couldn't be bothered due to feeling knackered.

Would I see any benefit from manning up and riding whilst already fatigued or is it best to rest up, recover and tackle a ride another day?

Comments

• plymouthsteve
    plymouthsteve Posts: 137
    Dunno if it's the right answer, but I've had some of my most enjoyable rides, when I've not really felt felt like it.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I think if your body is saying rest,then rest.It is important to let your body rest and over doing it can lead to injury.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Dunno if it's the right answer, but I've had some of my most enjoyable rides, when I've not really felt felt like it.

+1
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • As far as I'm concerned, riding when mentally tired is always a good idea as it perks me up again, whereas doing so when properly physically tired (as opposed to just feeling sluggish) just ends up disheartening unless there's some other factor, such as fabulous weather or the right sort of company, to make up for the inevitable lack of go.
    Mangeur
  • As far as I'm concerned, riding when mentally tired is always a good idea as it perks me up again, whereas doing so when properly physically tired (as opposed to just feeling sluggish) just ends up disheartening unless there's some other factor, such as fabulous weather or the right sort of company, to make up for the inevitable lack of go.

I'd go along with that theory. Dragged myself off the couch and went outside before dark. Very overcast and threatening rain as well as quite chilly. I didn't fancy the prospect of doing a few miles then getting caughtin a downpour.
    No work this weekend. May just rest up, good nights sleep, then see what tomorrow brings, although forecast not looking too good. Locally early morning looking the best time.

Please do continue with advice and theories about riding when tired. - pros and cons.