Rims n spokes for a 29er

unquestioned
unquestioned Posts: 172
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
I have a Trek mamba, current wheels are Bontrager AT-850 which I can find nothing out about.

I'd like to change to lighter rims & change the spokes (Orange spokes or alternating black & orange)
Looking to lose some weight from the bike & this seems the best route to shed quite a few pounds.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Don't waste money just replacing your rims and spokes, those hubs aren't anything special - just change the whole wheelset.

You won't get orange spokes, so if you really want to do that you'll have to paint some - they'll chip really badly and look crap, I'd not bother.

What's your budget?

Superstar hubs on Crest 29ers will be very reasonable. DT240s and some Light Bicycle carbon rims will be lighter, blingier and more expensive.
  • unquestioned
    Not worried about bling, although keeping the black & orange scheme going would be preferred.

Budget is what I sold my titan for so about £325 but can go to more.
  • njee20
    Sell your Bontrager wheels, buy sommat new. I don't think the Superstar deal includes 29er Crests actually, but I could be wrong.

If it doesn't I'd probably just get Hope Hoops on Crests, all black, keeps the theme, but doesn't look rubbish.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Alternating spokes.
    Are you this guy?
    Dandport.jpg
    If so how about this
    3615875441_baf98401fc_z.jpg?zz=1
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • unquestioned
    No chance of me getting anodised orange spokes? I reckon the alternating would be a bit much come to think of it.

The bontrager rims are a bit cack.

Would I be better off getting a factory wheelset or getting the components separate & having them built up or would the cost simply not justify any benefit, if any?
  • njee20
    Spokes are steel, can't be anodised. Painting or powder coating are your options, neither last!
  • unquestioned
    Right, so ordering up wheels here http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=314

But what's this adapter business? I'm noob, do I simply get it with the QR adapter?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Ss hub work with most wheel configs, choose the adapters to suit what your frame and forks have.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    No experience of these wheels personally, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to enlighten us.

Easton Haven 29er, £360 down from £720 - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits ... elID=85169

Just came across them while looking through the CRC sale this afternoon.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    With the Superstar build you can get black spokes and orange hubs...what's not to like? :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8