Prudential RideLondon 100 - question

longy
longy Posts: 74
I remember that when I entered the ballot it mentioned that if you were unsuccessful but donated your fee, you got a jersey or top. What I don't remember is if successful entrants got one as well?

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I don't believe so. I was successful and I haven't got a top.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • longy
    longy Posts: 74
    drlodge wrote:
    I don't believe so. I was successful and I haven't got a top.

You're right. Only for those who missed out and donated their entry fee.
  • Sorry for taking this off topic, however has anyone else looked at travel options. The website is talks about travel options but no specifics, does anyone know if you will be allowed on trains with your bike on the day?
    Cheers
    Dave
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    Dave they are releasing more info about travel , signing on and the day itself in june I believe whuch is also when start times are sent out.

Your best bet may be to drive up and park somewhere as theres no congestion charge a days parking can be found for £20 .
    Insert witty signature here
  • drlodge
    The Logistics for this event are going to be a nightmare. The start is 6am so that pretty much rules out any travelling *to* the event on the day from anywhere other than central London. And you have to be in London on the Friday or Saturday to register and pick up your timing chip etc. So that means everyone having to stay over in London on the Saturday night.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    We're booked into a PremierInn in Dagenham for the night before, 7 miles from the start line. Was about the best (and safest) thing we could do. Unfortunately it's also about 10 miles from the finish line, so that could be the most painful 10 mile cycle in my entire life!

We had PremierInn confirm we are allowed to keep bikes in our rooms before we booked too. Think the rooms were about £35 each. The hotel also has free parking (was the closest one I could find with free parking, thus saving us another 30 odd quid as well).
  • It certainly is going to be a logistical challenge for the organizers and competitors that's for sure !......I think the cycling bit will be the easy part.

I jumped in early and have booked the Prem Inn on the Sat night over the road from the olympic park at the westfield centre.
    Again, i believe others have been told that bikes are o.k in rooms (hopefully people will be sensible about not doing full chain de-grease and mech change in rooms)

I think they are transporting bags to the finish and then i guess you are on your own as far a rescuing ones extortionately parked car from Stratford

Its going to be interesting on the Sunday morning getting bikes in and out of the lifts at the prem inn (I recall it being at least 10 storeys) The amount of faffing & forgetting i normally do when i go for a ride, i do NOT want to forget anything and have to go back that's for sure !!
  • drlodge
    I'm staying at the Travelodge, but intend to park my car nearby at a shopping centre with bike inside it. Then Sunday morning get up early, go to car all I need for the ride, get bike ready, change shoes and head off. Seems a lot less hassle than trying to get a bike in/out of a hotel.
    Find me on Strava
  • That was my initial plan, I didn't fancy the idea of leaving the bike in a car overnight in a car park
    I have a family room and will be with the wife & kids, though I suppose I could get the Mrs to sleep in the
    car and guard it :lol:
  • foxydan
    foxydan Posts: 83
    Well luckily for me I live 10 mins up the road so shouldn't have any logistical nightmares :D:D

Feel for you guys and do understand as have had a few sportives this year a fair distance from me which does mean a little forward planning.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Train bookings have just opened for that weekend. There are plenty of threads about bikes on trains and the fact that each operator and route has different rules/space - check with the company before booking.

I've booked the train down Saturday afternoon and will borrow/hire a bike bag to carry my bike and clothes. I wanted to know what time train to book so I sent them an email about signing on and got this reply:
    On the Saturday the 3rd of August the opening times of the expo at the London Excel Centre is 9am-6pm.
    Kind Regards
    Prudential Ride London Team
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    If it's any help, Just done the etape caledonia yesterday and stayed at the Travelodge in Perth. They were ok about taking your bike in the rooms. must have been at least 50 riders there. if you read most hotel car parks you will get the signs..we cant be held responsible...so take your bike in your room problem solved :D
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    No problem with putting a bike in an IBIS :)

Just checked with em and booked a room 8)
  • Fortunate enough to live in Surrey. Don't think I'll chance a train. Will book a local taxi instead, travel wearing a tracky over the top which I will post back to myself just before starting. Dunno how I'm going to get home though? Black cab and local taxi back home ?
  • Fortunate enough to live in Surrey. Don't think I'll chance a train. Will book a local taxi instead, travel wearing a tracky over the top which I will post back to myself just before starting. Dunno how I'm going to get home though? Black cab and local taxi back home ?

Just read the site FAQ.... Park and Ride and drop off to and from points. IDEAL!
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    Ill be parking at waterloo for the day can get there pretty easily up the a3.it will be expensive but ill be near the finish and will cost less then the hotel.
    Insert witty signature here
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    Most of Central London doesn't have parking control on Sundays. Some areas do e.g. Tower Hamlets around the Sunday markets. Do a bit of research and you should be able to park for free.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    I'm in the Stratford Premier Inn too. Travelling down on Saturday morning from Dundee via East Coast to Kings Cross then a cab to the hotel. It's in a bike box so it'll fit no bother. Sign on that afternoon then out for dinner.

Sunday will be fine for the start, but I'm still working out what to do when I finish. Might get the bike box sent down then pack it and jump in a cab, or I might be able to coax my mate to ride back with me. He lives in Hackney.
  • Can someone with knowledge of the London/start area please advise on what areas of the City are going to be good choices for booking accomodation.

Was short of cash when I booked the ride so have missed out on all the good deals. Travelling down to Kings cross, hoping to do the family ride Saturday and the 100 Sunday coming home Monday.

Anywhere within a few miles of the start is fine as I can cycle up.
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Just google for hotels in the stratford area of london :wink:
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Fortunate enough to live in Surrey. Don't think I'll chance a train. Will book a local taxi instead, travel wearing a tracky over the top which I will post back to myself just before starting. Dunno how I'm going to get home though? Black cab and local taxi back home ?

Just spoke to the organisers and you won’t need to post you top home. They have arrangement as with the London Marathon where they will transfer your kit in a numbered bag between the start and finish.
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    That's a very flat route, should mean lots of fast times assuming there isn't too much gridlock!
  • AndypG800
    AndypG800 Posts: 33
    Saw this on a promotional email from Wiggle today, just incase anybody is still after a place

Wiggle & dhb are proud to be announced as Official Suppliers of Prudential RideLondon. Wiggle is the Official Sports Retailer of the event and dhb is the Official Cycle Clothing supplier and will be producing the official event merchandise.
    To celebrate the appointment, we are able to offer you the opportunity to take part in Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 and be part of the UK’s largest ever sportive and The Mayor of London’s first mass participation legacy event from London 2012.
    If you are up for the challenge of riding this 100 mile iconic course, within the nine hour time limit (at a cost of £48) then email events@wiggle.co.uk by Wednesday 12th June. Hurry as places are limited and will be on a first come first serve basis!