Skills course up north recommedations

Snoop6060
Snoop6060 Posts: 3
edited May 2013 in MTB beginners
Can anyone recommend a good skills course up north? Just got a new bike, having fun on it in the peak but am struggling with some basic techniques. Obviously just riding is the best way to get the skills, though a course cannot hurt either. Defo not as much as the tree I rode into the other day anyway :cry:

Searched the net, there seems to be tons. Looking for a decent one. Let me know if you have any feedback.

Cheers, Si

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    neil donaghue would be my choice I guess. Not seen his coaching, but his racing and riding style is awesome....
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Ed Oxley, he is superb.

http://www.great-rock.co.uk/

I've done stop crashing level 1 late last year, I'm going to do level 2 later this year.
  • Snoop6060
    Snoop6060 Posts: 3
    Argh, I think I've seen this guy about. At least I assume 2 people cannot be rocking a beard as good as that. Will check him out, cheers.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Ed Oxley, he is superb.

I've done stop crashing level 1 late last year, I'm going to do level 2 later this year.

I was looking at those courses on t'internet the other night and contemplating one. You found it good?
  • I did a course with ed last year, I think it was the jumps for dads course.

The course was deffinatley worth it and I still find some of the technique has stuck, but you still need confidence in your own style of riding for what and where you ride.
    work hard, play hard, fall hard

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Ed Oxley, he is superb.

I was looking at those courses on t'internet the other night and contemplating one. You found it good?

Absolutely brilliant. I only did the half day level 1, but that was superb. Just basics but I really felt the difference; I don't need to pedal as much now!
  • Kowalski675
    I might have to look at investing, are the stop crashing 1&2 suitable for a complete newbie, would you say?
  • mcnultycop
    I'd book on the level 1 and see how you get on with that. Put that in practice then see how you are getting on, then book on level 2.
  • Kowalski675
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I'd book on the level 1 and see how you get on with that. Put that in practice then see how you are getting on, then book on level 2.

Makes sense. i'd misread the website, and was thinking that the separate half day level 1 & 2 courses were £50 each, and the full day courses at Gisburn were combined 1 & 2 for £80 (so thought it would be cheaper to do both together), but looking at it again it appears that there's half and full day courses for both levels 1 and 2? Any idea what the difference is? Do the full day courses cover more subjects, or just the same content as the half day courses, but with more time spent on each aspect?
  • mcnultycop
    I think that is basically the case.

I'm going to do the full day level 2 next, half a day level 1 was good and a few more hours would have been great. If I were to do it again I'd definitely do the full day.
  • mcnultycop
    P.s. email Ed. tell him your situation and I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction.
  • Kowalski675
    Cheers, that sounds like a plan. The full day level 1 at Gisburn sounds tempting (if my legs are up to it, lol). I used to have a beard like his too, lol.