Looking for a new XC racer.

peebeds
peebeds Posts: 5
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
OK, Im after a little help here guys please.
Ive been out of racing for a good few years but Ive been bitten by the bug and am looking at a replacement for my rather aged (but still really good) Trek 9900 Pro Issue.

Im thinking that a 29er should be my best bet (although Im only 5'7") but oddly enough, even though Im now earning about 6 times as much as I was when I got the Trek, my budget is fairly tight (must be something to do with mortgages, marriage and kids......)
So upper limit is around the £1800 mark.

Looking around and Im taken by the following:

Canyon CF SLX 8.9 at £1709

CUBE Reaction GTC SL 29 at £1799

Sensa Fiori TNT Pro 29er at £1665

or......

the Scott 740 650b at £1800 (if I can find a small one in stock anywhere)

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• GraemeT
    GraemeT Posts: 155
    I had a test ride on the Cube recently and really liked it. (I've not bought it yet, but I'm running out of excuses as to why not to). I also tested the next higher up the range with Rockshox SID, but I much prefered the Fox. It just seemed smoother and plusher. I also rode a lower spec model with SLX shifters, and the XT seemed a little sharper as well. I've not ridden any of the others so my view is not particularly subjective, but I'll watch this thread with interest.
    Just Keep Pedalling
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Personally I'd go for a Canyon. Good value and ride well.

Those Sensas have been absolutley slated in a few reviews I've read. The gist was that the geometry is about 20yrs out of date making them painful to ride on anything but fireroads, and that the reviewers wouldn't choose to ride one no matter how good value they were.
  • peebeds
    I must admit, looking at the geometry of the Sensa, it doesnt look very close to the others (which are all very close as far as geo goes).
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The flat bars and bar ends say everything about the Sensa, they're pretty rare even in racing these days.

Canyon for my money - a friend has the alu one, and really rates it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • scarbs85
    scarbs85 Posts: 170
    Haven't had any test rides but been looking into the same sort of bikes. I've got an eye on a Giant XTC Composite 1 although the Composite 2 is more on budget.

Also like the look of the Scale 29ers and know a lot of people who swear by them, but the entry level carbon Scale 930 is £2100. The Scale 940 sits on budget but is an alu frame.

Just chucking a couple of ideas into the pot that I've been looking at. Others with more knowledge will hopefully be able to tell you which is best.
  • 123oldman
    123oldman Posts: 268
    Heard good things about the Canyon's, great kit, ride well, nice weights, excellent pricing..
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    scarbs85 wrote:
    Haven't had any test rides but been looking into the same sort of bikes. I've got an eye on a Giant XTC Composite 1 although the Composite 2 is more on budget.
    maybe not the best recommendation viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12919778&hilit=warranties
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • getonit
    getonit Posts: 12
    Dont want to highjack the thread, went to look at the following today, well impressed...

Cube Reaction GTC SL 29er and SLT 29er but also looked at the Cube Elite Super HPC Pro 26".

Is there a UK stockist for the Canyon CF SLX 8.9??

Also I am going to start XC racing which is why i am looking at these bikes, is a 29er the way forward as the guy in the shop was saying 26" cos it has bigger gears so just as quick but slightly more effort.
    Really could do with help.

Cheers
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    getonit wrote:
    Is there a UK stockist for the Canyon CF SLX 8.9??

Yes, Canyon. They're direct sales only, no shops, but they have recently established a proper UK office for after-sales support.
  • getonit
    Cheers mate, i take it that means you cant actually go and see one, sit on one etc prior o purchase? case of buying it and then maybe returning?
  • scarbs85
    scarbs85 Posts: 170
    chez_m356 wrote:
    scarbs85 wrote:
    maybe not the best recommendation viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12919778&hilit=warranties

Wouldn't put me off to be honest. That looks like a massive defect on an individual frame, rather than a design weakness on the across the frame range. Giant sell shed loads of bikes, and there aren't many XTC's snapping in half on a regular basis. I know a couple of chaps who ride them, one fairly aggressive and heavier than just about any 15 year old, and his hasn't cracked.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    getonit wrote:
    Cheers mate, i take it that means you cant actually go and see one, sit on one etc prior o purchase? case of buying it and then maybe returning?
    not without taking a trip to koblenz germany where they have there showroom
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • njee20
    Also I am going to start XC racing which is why i am looking at these bikes, is a 29er the way forward as the guy in the shop was saying 26" cos it has bigger gears so just as quick but slightly more effort.

29ers are far more popular for XC racing now. The bloke in the shop is talking bollocks, don't spend your money there.
  • getonit
    njee20 wrote:

29ers are far more popular for XC racing now. The bloke in the shop is talking ****, don't spend your money there.

Thought so, as everything i have read and heard suggested as much but wanted to check opinions. if it was a road bike then simple to decide but still learning what is what with mud munchers. Did look at a 650B but seem to be very few and far between and even more difficult for parts/upgrades. figured you have best of both here but not really took off yet?

reckon its gonna be the cube reaction GTC SL for £1799 then unless everyone shouts NO...... cheers
  • njee20
    They're gaining a reasonable following for sure, but none of the major brands (other than a limited Scott range) have bought into it yet for XC racing.

It's not to say there's anything wrong with 26" wheels, but they've certainly fallen out of favour with most racers now.
  • getonit
    Thats kinda what i had been led to believe, they will either take off or flop. probably a bit of a gamble. i am gonna go for the above Cube 29er, get a 2 year warranty and 1 year worth of servicing as its a more family run buisness running on reputation. comes with XT groupo and Fox Float forks, Carbon frame so looks good deal.
    Just need to see if my roadie race legs can cut the mustard!
  • njee20
    I'm not sure it'll be either/or, I think all 3 will coexist for a good long while. Particularly while one of the top XC riders in the world is really keen on 650b I think it'll have a market. Most of the big tyre manufacturers have bought into it, it just needs Trek/Spesh/Giant to do a decent race bike and I think it'll grow.
  • getonit
    Probably will, we shall see. in roadie, shimano brought out electronic 2 years later the band wagon starts and all are jumping on it. Campag had 11 speed, now the others are following. it must just be let someone do it, see how it goes and then we will find the faults, recitfy it and produce our own.
  • njee20
    Mmm, Di2 and EPS were around in development for years, and arguably they're both based on Mavic Mektronic anyway. 11 speed was a pretty obvious evolution, we'll see 12 speed next, no massive shock!

There's no real innovations left!
  • getonit
    Jesus, i remember that dodgy Mavic spaceshiped controlled techy stuff HAHA. completley non aerodynamic and useless...... who knows soon we will have bikes that you dont have to pedal.... wait one hmmmm not a good one that.....
  • peebeds
    Thanks for the tips guys.
    I do really like the look of the Canyon, although their site says theyve "sold out" of the medium CF SLX 8.9!!
    As much as I fancy the Scott 650b, Im a huge fan of Carbon, I just like the way it rides) but really cant stretch to the £4k or so for the 710!!

Ive got a Cube coming into my local shop for a demo at the weekend, so I'll see how that goes, then hopefully get one ordered up in time for my first race for about 4 years in June :D