Storing rain jacket on the bike?

clelanj
clelanj Posts: 68
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Recently purchased a light Polaris rain jacket with the intention of carrying it in my jersey pocket when the weather is a bit iffy. The jacket has a clever system where it folds away into a small bag stitched into the arm.

Problem is, it is still bulkier than I would like to carry in my jersey pocket and I was wondering if any of you have any methods of attaching your stowaway rain jackets to the bike? I have heard that some people put them under the seat where the saddle bag usually sits. If I did this then I guess I could transfer items such as spare inner tubes and tyre lever into my jersey pocket. How would you attach the jacket - zip ties (although would this be a reusable method or require new ties each time)?

Anyone got any other snazy places where they store their jackets on the bike? Thanks

Comments

• hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Velcro-Self-Gri ... rds=velcro

Velcro would be better than having to carry spare cable ties and scissors everywhere. I've stuffed a hat down the front of my jersey a few times when I've not been to sure on the temp, the coat bagged up might not be to bad there
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Ive seen people put them in the bottle cage
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Second bottle cage.

This can also be a method of carrying tubes etc in an old Bidon (bottle).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Roll it into a tube and stuff it up your jersey so it sits across your back underneath where your jersey pockets are. If your jersey fits properly, its not going anywhere. Either that or get a smaller jacket or just a gilet :wink:
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    I would sometimes put the little bags drawstring under my garmin mount and let the bag hang over the front of the stem down behind the brake/gear cables just in front of the headtube. sits nicely in there. A little velco strap around the headtube would also work.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Mine's rolled up tight in a food bag and velcro-strapped under the back of the saddle (which has a channel cutout making a nice place to thread the strap). My mini wedge pack sits below it, all neat and tidy, like.
  • paul_mck wrote:
    I would sometimes put the little bags drawstring under my garmin mount and let the bag hang over the front of the stem down behind the brake/gear cables just in front of the headtube. sits nicely in there. A little velco strap around the headtube would also work.

Would advise against anything being tied up or wedged under cables near the front wheel. I had a a rain proof jacket in a netted bag that one day slipped into said wheel and it might as well have been a stick as I did a small flight followed by a nasty crash. After breaking my arm in 3 places and now living with a missing a chunk of cartlilage in my elbow I now have it stored in a seat bag. A lesson learned.. :!:
  • clelanj
    clelanj Posts: 68
    paul_mck wrote:

Would advise against anything being tied up or wedged under cables near the front wheel. I had a a rain proof jacket in a netted bag that one day slipped into said wheel and it might as well have been a stick as I did a small flight followed by a nasty crash. After breaking my arm in 3 places and now living with a missing a chunk of cartlilage in my elbow I now have it stored in a seat bag. A lesson learned.. :!:

Thanks for the advice peddlingmadness, will certainly take on board what you have said there.

Thanks to everyone else for their useful suggestions - hatch87, ordered the velcro you suggested from Amazon - thanks for the link.
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    This must have been a life changing decision ffs
  • mikebikemike
    mikebikemike Posts: 166
    Mickyg88 wrote:
    This must have been a life changing decision ffs

grumpy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have you tried not bothering with the built in bag and just putting it in a jersey pocket? It will feel a lot more comfortable IMO.
    The sandwich bag also works well. Use the zip lock ones and you can get all the air out. If you experiment with folding you should get a really comfy fit which is flat and still allows other stuff to go in the same pocket.
    My waterproof, sealed seemed Altura jacket can go in a jersey pocket and I am guessing its bigger than the one you have.
    The other advantage to the sandwich bag is that the jacket is protected from sweat, rain and spray if you do not use it and ready to pop in on every ride without any hassle :wink:
  • i roll mine up and tuck it in the second bottle cage - if i take it then it ain't so warm that i need a second 700ml.