Airlite 100 upgrades - where to start

AirliteRider
AirliteRider Posts: 16
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I have owned a Raleigh Airlite 100 for the last 3 years as a means to getting back on the road however I am now looking at the most cost effective way of upgrading my bike and increasing the riding pleasure. Any advice as to where I should start as there are so many different parts etc. available that make weight savings or run smoother.

Comments

• simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Comfort starts with contact points (and that includes bike fitting): if you aren't absolutely happy with them, you could upgrade your handlebars, saddle, pedals, shoes, tyres. You could get a new set of wheels; that would affect the ride quality significantly as well. Don't worry about weight savings.
  • Saddle was one thing I was thinking of - wheels another. Any suggestions - currently on rigida nova rims and a selle italia ischia saddle. Rideouts tend to be 30 miles up tp 70 mainly.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    only chnage saddle if its causing you problems - the search for the perfect saddle is strewn with danger!.

Tyres(Conti 4 seasons or 400Os or Duranos?) and then wheels (mavic askiums are good budget choice or planet X) are always most effective upgrades
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Cheers T4Tomo - Aksiums are one wheel that has been mentioned to me recently. The fact that they are being mentioned by different people makes me think that they are a solid bet for a good upgrade.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I don't think the Airlight is really worthy of an expensive upgrade. If your tyres are worn out, then fit a better pair, that will be your most effective upgrade. Try some better brake blocks. Pedal and shoe systems are transferable so spoil yourself.
    I found that saddle "upgrades" are not always more comfortable. My fav saddle is an old, worn-out Specialized.
  • Cheers Michael, Obviously don't want to go spending rucks of cash on it - after all it was only £500 when I bought it. Upgrades that can be transferred over to a newer bike - when I get permission from the boss !!! - will be priority, hence the wheels and saddle options. Tyres and brake blocks are a good easily interchangeable upgrade. I already have cleats and decent pedals. Although looking scratched after many a slow motion falling off with shoes still clipped in.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    As mentioned above, wheels and tyres are a great place to start. Then think about perhaps crankset, saddle, bars, seatpost etc.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Cranksets are all much the same in terms of function/performance, so I would not go down that route personally.

Wheels/tyres and brake pads are probably the most noticeable items for improved feel and performance gains. Also quality cable inners/outers help improve shifting/braking performance.

Nice saddle and bar tape can make it look fresh.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    declan1 wrote:
    [...] Then think about perhaps crankset [...]

What Smidsy said - Waste of money unless buying for a different length or BCD. Seatpost isn't a bad suggestion, though; not that I would condone the stupid prices some people pay for carbon ones.
  • All great ideas, thanks for the suggestions and guidance. First time on a forum such as this and good to know that there is some valuable info at hand. Can't wait to update on new bits and pieces as time progresses. :lol:
  • Peter91
    Peter91 Posts: 16
    I just went from the B'twin stock tyres to conti 4000s tyres on my triban 5, which I think is a similar level of bike to yours, and it made a huge difference; I'd definitely recommend it as a, relatively, cheap way to gain a noticeable upgrade. I went for 25mm, the ride was more comfortable and I was getting significantly faster speeds on the same descents. Corners were much better.
  • Cheers Peter91 - have been looking at some of those with a view to buying as opposed to the other tyres that were suggested - got good reviews allround.