Paint peeling of 7 month old bike for a 2nd time.

snowwaz
snowwaz Posts: 6
edited May 2013 in MTB general
Hi guys, i'm new to the forum, but a little stuck with a problem... i'm looking for some advice on a purchase made on the 13/11/2012.

I treated myself to a new mountain bike purchased online via my credit card - (1999.00). Within a couple of rides i noticed that there was some rubbing between the front wheel and the forks. I informed the seller, a shop located a long distance away from my location in the UK and eventually i was given the option to return the bike to the actual manufacturer due to them being closer to me.

This issue was sorted out with a new set of forks and tightening the spokes.

On getting the bike home i was refitting the mud guards and noticed that around the rear part of the frame some 'flaking' had occurred of the top gel coat finish. As the bike was so new i emailed both the shop and the manufacturer about the problem. Another journey back to the manufacturing team and they said they had not seen this before, but replaced the rear section.

So i thought all was complete and no further issues.....

During cleaning last week I noticed that the flaking had returned, I have again emailed both the shop and the manufacturer with the issue.

Today I received an email from the manufacturer saying,

"I have had a good look at the pics provided and I am convinced I am looking at lacquer peeling which is as a result of where the pivot bolts go into the frame, although this looks unsightly there is no cause for alarm, due to the thickness of the lacquer this is always going to happen in areas like the swing arm, an occasional inspection and touch up with a clear coat lacquer is probably the best option,

If you want to bring the bike in to us we can have another look and put your mind at rest."

Now i have no issue in taking the bike back to the manufacturer, but i do have an issue with the comment...

"this is always going to happen in areas like the swing arm, an occasional inspection and touch up with a clear coat lacquer is probably the best option"

I want to keep the bike in the best condition possible for future resale values, but having to 'repaint' the lacquer is not something i would have expected. You wouldn't expect to repaint your new car after 6 months...! I know the bike is a carbon frame but surely this should not be happening...

What are the options available to me..?

Many thanks..

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd go for a ride and not worry.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Happens on many frames I am afraid - as the frame and parts flex slightly, the paint and lacquer peels. Don't know why they paint them sometimes.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Presumably because its cheaper than powder coating.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    snowwaz wrote:

I want to keep the bike in the best condition possible for future resale values, but having to 'repaint' the lacquer is not something i would have expected. You wouldn't expect to repaint your new car after 6 months...! I know the bike is a carbon frame but surely this should not be happening...

What are the options available to me..?

Many thanks..
    Why did you buy a MTB? You will have a lot more dings and dents on it in a few months.

And you would be suprised about cars.

And if bikes were coate with a suitable arterial to resist flaming and othe damage no one would buy them as they would be too heavy and look crap.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • snowwaz
    Christ, talk about rough replies.....

Guys i love to ride my bike and i'm out frequently, BUT i like to keep my toys in tip top condition to ensure top resale value for when i upgrade.

All i'm saying is that on a 3 grand bike i'm disappointed that the finish is already on the way out.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    It was £2k in the first post.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can try and tape the frame as much as possible to stop impact and rubbing, but the stress around some points will, as above, result in eventual peeling.

Many frames have very limited warranties on cosmetic finishes given the usage of the machine.
  • snowwaz
    mcnultycop wrote:
    It was £2k in the first post.
    3k rrp purchase cost after haggling 2k not that it really matters to the issue....!
  • snowwaz
    supersonic wrote:
    You can try and tape the frame as much as possible to stop impact and rubbing, but the stress around some points will, as above, result in eventual peeling.

Many frames have very limited warranties on cosmetic finishes given the usage of the machine.

I think this is the only realistic option.

very disappointed...
  • bennett_346
    very deluded.
  • snowwaz
    very deluded.

Really.... :shock:

So spend some hard earned money on a nice bike and expect the finish to flake off...

Knocks, bangs, sticks and stones i would expect the finish to be damaged, but not through normal riding...
  • bennett_346
    Its going to be scratched and scraped from the aforementioned anyway so why care?
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    When I first bought mine (and that's only a cheap one) I was precious about it for a while (I'm just that way inclined), but then after the first couple of times scratching pedals and cranks on rocks I thought sod it - I bought it to ride off road so it's gonna get scratched by vegetation, rocks, falling off etc, it's unavoidable. Could be worse - imagine how you feel when you get your first scratch / stone chip on a seven grand bike that's your pride and joy.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    When I first bought mine (and that's only a cheap one) I was precious about it for a while (I'm just that way inclined), but then after the first couple of times scratching pedals and cranks on rocks I thought sod it - I bought it to ride off road so it's gonna get scratched by vegetation, rocks, falling off etc, it's unavoidable. Could be worse - imagine how you feel when you get your first scratch / stone chip on a seven grand bike that's your pride and joy.

+1 with the proper cautious approach at first, then thinking sod it.

My DIY spray can paint job is doing bloody brilliantly! The only paint chips etc is from the way i store my bike and the winding blowing it over twice :roll: You could consider doing it yourself on the cheap, or getting it powder coated?

Other than that, no problems with the paint at all in terms of normal riding.
  • houston26
    houston26 Posts: 115
    Nothing wrong with trying to keep your bike looking nice, I would sand it flat and apply helicopter tape. But have to agree with what's been said, it's a bike, it's in it's nature to get beaten up. Go out and enjoy it and then when it comes to selling time get it sprayed or powder coated
  • Kowalski675
    Or anodised.
  • Kowalski675
    The only paint chips etc is from the way i store my bike and the winding blowing it over twice :roll:

Just after fitting new bars, stem and bar end plugs mine fell over outside my garage, the bar end bounced off my car then hit the tarmac and shattered the new bar end plug. D'oh.
  • houston26
    Or anodised.
    8)

Doesn't anodising weaken the metal? Or is it just the cheap crap anodised bolts that are crap?
  • Kowalski675
    houston26 wrote:
    Or anodised.
    8)

Doesn't anodising weaken the metal?

In a word, no (plenty of bikes come with anodised frames now, and many high stress motorcycle components are anodised (wheels, frames, forks, yokes, brake calipers etc). It has no effect on the ally, other than adding a rather attractive, lightweight and corrosion resistant coating.
    Or is it just the cheap crap anodised bolts that are crap?

Cheap crap's always gonna be cheap crap.
  • gt-arrowhead
    The only paint chips etc is from the way i store my bike and the winding blowing it over twice :roll:

Just after fitting new bars, stem and bar end plugs mine fell over outside my garage, the bar end bounced off my car then hit the tarmac and shattered the new bar end plug. D'oh.

Damn, talk about rough luck!
  • Kowalski675

Not luck, my own stupid fault for propping the bike up too upright, lol. They were only cheap bar end plugs anyway (£2.49), I would've been annoyed if I'd splashed out on the fancy Hope anodised ally ones. The annoying part was that it knocked the stem slightly out of line after I'd just spent ages adjusting it dead straight, lol.
  • houston26
    houston26 wrote:
    Or anodised.
    8)

In a word, no (plenty of bikes come with anodised frames now, and many high stress motorcycle components are anodised (wheels, frames, forks, yokes, brake calipers etc). It has no effect on the ally, other than adding a rather attractive, lightweight and corrosion resistant coating.

I just remember reading on this forum that it can do strange things to aluminium, but an anodised frame woul look amazing
  • gt-arrowhead

Not luck, my own stupid fault for propping the bike up too upright, lol. They were only cheap bar end plugs anyway (£2.49), I would've been annoyed if I'd splashed out on the fancy Hope anodised ally ones. The annoying part was that it knocked the stem slightly out of line after I'd just spent ages adjusting it dead straight, lol.

Ohh right. LOL. My end cap is permanently in my handlebars, the outer part got severed off by the handlebars and the rest of it got pushed in a little. Happened when i fell off trying to jump...lol. I can get it off but really CBF. I might get some nice bar ends myself, getting paid at the end of this month :)
  • Kowalski675
    houston26 wrote:
    houston26 wrote:
    Or anodised.
    8)

I just remember reading on this forum that it can do strange things to aluminium, but an anodised frame woul look amazing

You'll read a lot of ill informed tripe on internet forums, lol.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Is it true that bare metal aluminium is shiny at first but eventually goes a bit faded? I would imagine this is true, since my spokes go kind of a "cloudy" colour because they arent polished. But wire wool makes them shine again.
  • Kowalski675
    I might get some nice bar ends myself, getting paid at the end of this month :)

I have these on my other bike, makes the price of the Hope ones seem reasonable, lol.

http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/rizom ... -ends.html
  • Kowalski675
    Is it true that bare metal aluminium is shiny at first but eventually goes a bit faded? I would imagine this is true, since my spokes go kind of a "cloudy" colour because they arent polished. But wire wool makes them shine again.

Bare ally isn't shiny, unless you polish it, like this (it's a satin grey/silver colour):

15748.jpg?max=640

But unless you put a surface coat on bare ally (lacquer / clear anodising) it dulls with exposure to air (oxidation), so if you want to keep that mirror finish it requires regular polishing.
  • gt-arrowhead
    I looked it and though "WOOOOOO THE PRICE!" then i realized it was for a motorbike, lol. Sounds like a good piece of kit in the description, rather the plastic on those than the handlebars! They look really nice too.
  • gt-arrowhead

Bare ally isn't shiny, unless you polish it, like this (it's a satin grey/silver colour):

15748.jpg?max=640

But unless you put a surface coat on bare ally (lacquer / clear anodising) it dulls with exposure to air (oxidation), so if you want to keep that mirror finish it requires regular polishing.

Ahh i see. I thought it was oxidizing but i didnt say that just in case i was wrong. lol.

Thanks for that mate.
  • Kowalski675
    I looked it and though "WOOOOOO THE PRICE!" then i realized it was for a motorbike, lol. Sounds like a good piece of kit in the description, rather the plastic on those than the handlebars! They look really nice too.

They are rather lovely (and like all Rizoma stuff come in fancy packaging that makes them look like they're gift boxed, lol). Proper sexy Italian bling. I have them mounted on matching black anodised Rizoma fatbars (£90).