What are the best type of tyre for my needs?

CUBEical
CUBEical Posts: 211
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi there thanks for taking time to see what i need advice on , i am wondering what type of tyre to get to go on my cube analog 26x2.4 , i will be riding it on the road 70% of the time and 30% off road and want to get into xc more in future , i was just wondering what tyre i should get it has continental xkings on there at the moment http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Continental-X ... 53f803c1ac

but needs one replacing
was going to get the mountain kings 2,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400468370166? ... 1423.l2649

but will these be ok for riding on the road as much as i will be ? will it be a waste of a good tyre on the road and also it says there is a noise it makes when on hard surface or something along them lines ...if you could let me know your views what tyres you ride on roads with and if it worth getting two types and what ones to get thanks :wink:
I am sorry if I talk to much s@#t it goes with the name.............

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Go for something like Kenda Small Block 8.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They seem a bit fat for the bike. 2.25 or less would seem more suitable.
    But I wouldn't buy wire tyres for serious use, and if buying Contis stick to Black Chili compound.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Phil63
    Phil63 Posts: 13
    Just replaced my Rapid Rob's 2.25 on my Cube with Maxxis Beaver's 2.0. These have a dual compound, harder on the centre profile for road, fire trail and softer compound on the side for xc. Depends on your budget, but these run well enough for my needs.
  • symanoy
    symanoy Posts: 123
    The beaver is a mud tyre. It may work fine for other things. but wouldn't use a mud tyre for mostly road riding.
    kenda small block is a good suggestions for lots of road riding.
    Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
    replaced with Giant Trance MKII
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    CUBEical wrote:
    Hi there thanks for taking time to see what i need advice on , i am wondering what type of tyre to get to go on my cube analog 26x2.4 , i will be riding it on the road 70% of the time and 30% off road and want to get into xc more in future , i was just wondering what tyre i should get it has continental xkings on there at the moment http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Continental-X ... 53f803c1ac

but needs one replacing

but will these be ok for riding on the road as much as i will be ? will it be a waste of a good tyre on the road and also it says there is a noise it makes when on hard surface or something along them lines ...if you could let me know your views what tyres you ride on roads with and if it worth getting two types and what ones to get thanks :wink:

Put some of these on my wifes Genesis Core 20, she's more than happy with them, especially the extra comfort!
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • CUBEical
    CUBEical wrote:

but needs one replacing

Put some of these on my wifes Genesis Core 20, she's more than happy with them, especially the extra comfort!
    some of what tyres ?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    ...the ones you linked to I'd presume
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • CUBEical
    i am really new to serious mtb and changing everything , i thought because the tyres are 26 x 2.4 all the other tyres i get have to be 2.4 am i right in thinking that because i am starting to think i am wrong in thinking that if some one knows how to explain it to me please do. as i looked at some road tyres form my area but got put of because they were 26 x 1.8 ... but the seller seems to think they will fit ? i am confused i thought 2.4 was the width they had to be ?
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    edited May 2013
    CUBEical wrote:
    i am confused i thought 2.4 was the width they had to be ?

The first number - the 26" - is the important one. It's the size of the wheel.
    The other number is the width and that is personal preference (as long as you have standard rims on the bike - which you have).

For example, I ride a Cube too and have 3 sets of tyres; one for the winter mud, one for the summer when the trails dry out and get dusty and a set of slicks for when I do the coast-to-coast or coast-and-castles routes (which are 90% on road).
    The winter tyres are 26 x 2.4s, summer are 26 X 2.1 and the slicks are 26 x 1.6.
    In general, the wider tyres give more grip and are 'comfier' over the bumps, while the thinner ones roll faster. It's all a comprimise - more grip or more speed.
    Then add in additional stuff like tyre compounds (stickier, harder, longer wearing, puncture protection) and tyre tread (deeper/larger knobbles for grip, smaller knobbles for speed) and it gets quite confusing.

I am currently commuting and trail riding on some Schawlbe Racing Raplhs (26x2.1). They are ok for road riding, and good on my local trails now that it has dried out. They are the Double Defence version - it has an additional puncture-proof layer - good for the glass and thorns of my rides. The additonal puncture protection adds weight, meaning they take longer to get up to speed, but I am willing to sacrifice speed for the fact that I am less likely to have to stop to change an inner tube.
    It's all a comprimise, but overall it is a decent tyre for the rides that I do.
    My friend rides with me, but has Kenda Small Block 8s (26 x2.1) - smaller knobbles which roll fast and are lighter than my tyres, but don't have the same level of puncture protection. He's had to repair 2 puntures this week on his way to work, but has had no trouble on the trails.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The bike originally came with 2.25 so someone has put fatter tyres on.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CUBEical
    i unbderstand the smaller the tyre the more speed you get and the thicker they are the more grip you get , its great to have it all out in front of me cheers guys my rims are alexrims disc zx24 double wall 559 x 19 6061h-t6
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    CUBEical wrote:
    CUBEical wrote:

but needs one replacing

some of what tyres ?
    The Mountain King 2's
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • CUBEical
    ok cool dont think i will get them in 2.4 though >? not for alot of road riding maybe 2.2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    1.8?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CUBEical
    1.8?
    what is that referring too ?