Emmelle Clipper GT12?

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited May 2013 in Your road bikes
Hello, im not really a road bike person (never really had a thing for them, no offence!) but my dad just bought me this for £8. Being the stingy bugger my dad is, he managed to bring it down from £22 to £8!

I absolutely love the look of this bike, and i shall be restoring it to its former glory!

The cranks dont look original, the wheels dont match (rear is chrome and front isnt) and the front mech is missing. The seat is crap. And i havent seen shifters like the ones on here before, any information on these would be greatly appreciated.

Before i go on Retrobike, does anyone have any idea about:

How much this is worth?

How old is it?

Im a MTB guy so i know nothing about the road bikes. This is probably older than me x2 anyway, so i have no chance of knowing anything.

Thanks in advance.

IMAG0087_zps3ba22b4e.jpg
IMAG0088_zpsb4bc9ad6.jpg
IMAG0089_zpsdaf0e6fb.jpg
IMAG0090_zps414ad7a9.jpg
IMAG0091_zps89ad7120.jpg

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Age - probably 80s or maybe early 90s. Value - without wishing to be too detrimental, the value is probably somewhere in between £0.00 and what your dad paid for it. On that basis, I wouldn't get too involved in restoring it - if it's ridable, just ride it. If it needs a lot of money spending on it, I'd probably think twice.

I think 'Emmelle' was the in-house brand of cycle importer Moore Large - as far as I can remember, Emmelle was a fairly 'entry-level' brand.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Imposter wrote:
    Age - probably 80s or maybe early 90s. Value - without wishing to be too detrimental, the value is probably somewhere in between £0.00 and what your dad paid for it. On that basis, I wouldn't get too involved in restoring it - if it's ridable, just ride it. If it needs a lot of money spending on it, I'd probably think twice.

I think 'Emmelle' was the in-house brand of cycle importer Moore Large - as far as I can remember, Emmelle was a fairly 'entry-level' brand.

Cool, thanks for that. Doesnt need alot of money. Ive got a hoard of MTB spares that i can just bang on there. Might just get some SIS shifters for it. LOL.

This bike will do nicely for me just to have a bit of fun on, im not a roadie but i wouldnt mind having a go on one of my own.

Is there a name for the sort of shifters that get mounted on the frame?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Is there a name for the sort of shifters that get mounted on the frame?

Generally known as 'downtube shifters'. Should make things interesting if you've only ever used bar mounted STI levers ;)
  • gt-arrowhead
    Ohh right, thanks! I might just get the cheapest pair possible of those, and use a MTB drivetrain.

Haha, i can see many many accidents in the future on this thing. :lol:
  • It will probably have a screw on freewheel and 126mm rear drop outs so doubt any of your MTB bits will be of use.
  • gt-arrowhead
    xdoc wrote:
    It will probably have a screw on freewheel and 126mm rear drop outs so doubt any of your MTB bits will be of use.

I had a look at it and i can confirm its a freewheel. Ive got a brand new screw on freewheel, and all i want to change to MTB bits is just an Acera rear mech, and a decent crankset. If the Acera doesnt fit ive got quite alot of spares to choose from so fingers crossed any one of those mechs fit. They are all 7 speed so possibly should have one that fits.

The tourney one on there is buckled, but i could bodge it up by bending it back and see how it works. I didnt check how the mech mounts on to the frame. Ill leave it all for the weekend.

Thanks for the info :)
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    Ohh right, thanks! I might just get the cheapest pair possible of those, and use a MTB drivetrain.

you should try and keep your head up as much as possible...... will take away 99% of potential for accidents..... although if you are in a group things can still happen..... look at my signature..... go to pinkbike and have a look in "the incident" :wink:
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Very retro. Nice one...
  • gt-arrowhead
    rgliniany wrote:

you should try and keep your head up as much as possible...... will take away 99% of potential for accidents..... although if you are in a group things can still happen..... look at my signature..... go to pinkbike and have a look in "the incident" :wink:

Thanks for that, ill have a look when i get home.

To be honest i cant see myself riding this, but ill give it a try and hopefully i get used to it. It looks like a back breaker, and ill be reaching for the breaks and realising they arent there! :lol: The bars are very short too, even for a road bike. Havent seen ones this short.
  • gt-arrowhead
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Very retro. Nice one...

Thanks. Its in a right state at the minute, but a bit of TLC and some polishing and it should be a nice bike.
  • gt-arrowhead
    rgliniany wrote:

I just had a look at that pinkbike thing you told me to look at. That looks horrible!!! How many teeth did you lose in total?
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    rgliniany wrote:

I just had a look at that pinkbike thing you told me to look at. That looks horrible!!! How many teeth did you lose in total?

just the one front toof..... which is good cos they are flippin expensive to replace with the implants over here!!
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike