Saturday

chuckla
chuckla Posts: 132
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Got my first 100 (it's actually 107) miler on Saturday, carten100. Cardiff to Tenby in a day for the Noah's ark appeal charity.

Been training three times a week, 2 x 25 miles and then 60/70 on a Saturday. Bloody weather this weekend though, 20 mph headwind the whole distance and plenty of rain to boot!

Any tips for riding that distance with a headwind all the way!?

Comments

• farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Find a gear that you are comfortable in, accepting that it will be considerably lower than that you are used to and don't fight the wind.

If you can ride with a group all the better as you can share the work.

Be aware it may be as much a mental as a physical challenge.

Don't forget your eye protection.

Good luck!

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • cleric101
    cleric101 Posts: 188
    I'm riding it too and my mate from work who was supposed to ride with me has backed out because he doesn't fancy the weather!

My plan is to take it nice and easy as much as possible. There are some quite exposed sections though!

Good luck - it's going to be a tough day.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Cant offer any advice but wish you both good luck,and let us know how you get on.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    farrina wrote:
    Find a gear that you are comfortable in, accepting that it will be considerably lower than that you are used to and don't fight the wind.

If you can ride with a group all the better as you can share the work.

Be aware it may be as much a mental as a physical challenge.

Don't forget your eye protection.

Good luck!

Regards

Alan

Sound advice here ^^ Don't forget to keep hydrated even though the weather will be pretty shoot. I'm doing 66 miles tomorrow, good luck with the century :)