cycle shoe problem

Kingsmill1
Kingsmill1 Posts: 103
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
need some help I am currently using SPD' pedals and shoes the shoes are Shimano R077 ( cheap but effective) I have noticed on the right shoe that the rear of the shoe on the right shoe is wearing down on the side where the stitching is, now my only conclusion is it rubbing on the crank arm. I have put the shoe on the pedal and in a normal turn of the pedal is miss's the arm, but I have noticed the heel does move about a bit . I think as I'm pedalling this is rubbing against the crank arm, the left shoe is fine. I have moved the cleat slightly towards the crank arm to see if it is any better and there is no joy. It wont be long before the heels rubs through and I need a right shoe.

I would welcome some ideas on how to cure this I assume its how the cleat is set up or it there to much movement in the pedal part of the cleat ( Im sure there is a professional term for this but I have'nt got a clue what it is)
Giant TCR Comp 2
Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,138
    if your heel(s) move in on the downstroke it may be that your arches need more support...

try this: as you walk barefoot, look to see if your ankle rotates inwards as your foot lands, if it does, then on the bike it will cause your heel to move inwards
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Kingsmill1
    Kingsmill1 Posts: 103
    thanks i'm very flat footed had problems with my achilles tendon before which then upset my knees, stopped running because of this and moved over to cycling and my achilles has been fine since. I'll see if I can get some support did the barefoot thing doesnt look like my ankle rotates inwards.
    Giant TCR Comp 2
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,138
    another thing to look for is whether your knees track up and down in a plane parallel to the frame, if the knee is moving side to side during the stroke it's another sign that something is amiss

it may not be as simple as footbeds, but if you want to experiment...

the specialized bg footbeds come in three levels of support, they're probably the lowest cost option if you can find a specialized bg store near you, then you can see in-store which suits you best (if any)

they're good but for me they're not enough, i've tried various others including custom superfeet ones which were fine for support but the rest of the footbed was just not so good

overall the best i've found so far are the esoles efit cycling ones, they come with a range of inserts so you can change them around to find the best for each foor, in the uk you can get them here... http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/esoles-efit-cycling-footbed

...but it might be better to see a bike fitter able to assess/correct the problem
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny