Seized Avid BB5 brakes

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Came to change the pads on the Boardman Hybrid last night, and found that the red wheel adjuster (that moves one of the pistons closer to the disc) had seized. Now, this happened to the rear brake last time I changed the pads, so I broke off the red plastic turn-wheel cover and used a spanner on the torx bolt, and sorted it. However, the front one last night was well and truly solid, and I ended up stripping the torx bolt.

I understand from a quick search of various problems that this is not uncommon ... but it IS a pain! :x

Has anyone been here, and eventually managed to release the adjuster ... and if so, how? Can you get replacement bits, or do I need a whole new brake caliper? If there is an easy fix, all well and good, but TBH it will probably be easier to search out some replacements on ebay (or on here, if anyone is flogging any cheap?!)

So, if I replace, is the BB7 a worthwhile upgrade? Is there an alternative cable-disc brake that it would be worth replacing with? Would I be better to replace with a cheapish set of hydros, or is that overkill for a road/hybrid?

Cheers,

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try and lube it with GT85, but obviously be careful not to contaminate the pads.
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    The old pads are coming out, cos they're farked ... I did liberally spray a dose of lube over the whole thing last night (after having taken it off the bike!), so will see if that has any effect, but I'm guessing that it will be either a blow-torch or drilling out jobby if I'm to salvage the current caliper :-/

Any recommendations on the BB7, alternative cable-disc brake, or cheap hydros?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Cheap hydros, Deore 596s 40 ish quid
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I think you'll find BB7's will do the same. You should keep them lubed and turn the adjuster more regularly.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20