The endless argument regarding frame size.

sverrirrolf
sverrirrolf Posts: 2
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hi!

I'm currently about to buy my first "real" road bike. After some extensive research on the internet i'm leaning towards a specialized roubaix. I have been to the official specialized retailer here in my city and they are trying to persuade me to buy a 56 cm frame.

The thing is, i'm 189 cm of height with a short upper body and long legs. According to the research I did on the internet I should go for a 59 cm frame (they only offer 58 or 60 cm though), but as I have read here on the forum and various other websites it is quite hard to say what frame size should be the exact right one before trying out the bike. This is my problem since I am quite new to road cycling and it's hard for me to make assumptions after a 15 minute test ride and decide "this is the perfect fit for me".

So what would be your guidelines when choosing the perfect frame size?

With best regards,
Sverrir

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Try and figure out what "effective top tube" length you need by sitting in different sized frames, and get a frame that fits that bill (with an appropriate length stem). The saddle can easily be raised up or down to suit - the top tube is fixed.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    You need to get a bike fit, to ascertain what sizing you will need, as every frame out there has a different geometry. You should bring away with you a detailed sizing diagram which you can apply to any frame you're interested in.
    It shouldn't be guess work, look upon it as an investment.

For a Specialized you should ideally go to one of their concept stores or one of their dealers and they will measure you and select the correct size for you.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I'd be tempted to go for the 58. You have similar build to me - long legs, short torso. As above poster said, top tube is fixed but seatpost can be raised. My seat post is maxed out, I've flipped the stem but the reach is fine. If you have short torso then maybe the 60 is a bit too much of an uncomfortable stretch. We can speculate till the cows come home but you will only really know once you've sat on both frames yourself..
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    I am 6'2" and have the xl 58cm roubaix, had a mini bike fit after 3 months of owning it at specialized which was well worth it. In my opinion the 56 would be too small. I too have dropped the stem after 1100 miles.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    giant man wrote:
    For a Specialized you should ideally go to one of their concept stores or one of their dealers and they will measure you and select the correct size for you.

This - costs about £40 for the bike fit sizing and its taken of the price if you buy a bike - well worth it.