Energy Drinks

mickcee
mickcee Posts: 46
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Looking for a nice (Low Calorie) energy drink for my bottle. I'm a bit over Weight and attending Slimming World with the Mrs and have lost 2 1/2 stone with combined dieting and cycling so if anyone on here (doubt it) has any experience of Slimming World can recommend a powder to use to fit with my dieting.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    A low calorie energy drink is an oxymoron. Energy = calories!

I use High5 Isotonic, gives a good balance of hydration and energy. Winstanleybikes are the cheapest I find (£18 ish for a drum).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mickcee
    mickcee Posts: 46
    I sort of new that, silly question really but one I thought I would ask just in case.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you're cycling for weight loss and riding for less than 90 minutes you'd be better off with just electrolytes in your drink. Something like High5 Zero tablets are tasty and convenient.
  • xcMuttley
    xcMuttley Posts: 434
    +1 for the High 5 Zero tablets ive used them a lot and would recommend them to anyone! The berry flavour is probably the nicest IMO
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • MattyDeez
    MattyDeez Posts: 54
    If your riding less then 90 minutes just dont bring any bottles, just hydrate the night before and in the morning before you go out.
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    xcMuttley wrote:
    +1 for the High 5 Zero tablets ive used them a lot and would recommend them to anyone! The berry flavour is probably the nicest IMO

+2

:)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Low cal energy drinks make me laugh! over a three hour cycle I burn about 1600 to 2000 cals, having those extra 200ish cals from a 500ml energy drink isnt really gonna break the bank and I would rather replace lost calories.

TBH even other a 30min ride you would prob burn more calories than a 500ml energy drink contains, however you dont really need any fluids over this period as previoulsy mentioned.
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    NITR8s wrote:
    Low cal energy drinks make me laugh! over a three hour cycle I burn about 1600 to 2000 cals, having those extra 200ish cals from a 500ml energy drink isnt really gonna break the bank and I would rather replace lost calories.

TBH even other a 30min ride you would prob burn more calories than a 500ml energy drink contains, however you dont really need any fluids over this period as previoulsy mentioned.

Some of us are porkeys so every calorie helps :D

For a 3 hour ride I would use energy drinks, but for 90 mins to 2 hours Just a hydration tablet does the job for me
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    another vote for high5 zero hyration tablets (to pop in your water bottle). Evans sell them in packs of 20
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Various zero tabs are available, and in lots of flavours (which encourage you to drink when water alone might be "boring " for your taste buds). I like zipvit 0 as they are individually wrapped, so I can take one or two out rather rather than a tubeful. Zipvit and High Five both do sample packs, I think SIS do as well, so good routes to test out the brand before buying 20 of a product.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    go with the tabs, much cheaper, taste much nicer when they get a little warmer. And less calories.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Am I the only one here that just drinks water?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    declan1 wrote:

Looks like it :shock:
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    declan1 wrote:

I also drink water.....or beer.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    MattyDeez wrote:
    If your riding less then 90 minutes just dont bring any bottles, just hydrate the night before and in the morning before you go out.

:roll:
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    declan1 wrote:

No you're not, I drink just water on most rides (I prefer using carbonated water, 17p for a 2 litre bottle in Tesco, Asda etc) I've used energy drinks in the past and I've never noticed any difference at all. For very long rides (4/5 + hours) I use 50/50 orange or apple juice and fizzy water with half a teaspoon of salt, works fine and is infinitely cheaper than energy drinks!
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Council pop has never been my cup of tea so ill be trying one of these tablet packs for when im out and see how it goes.
    Ive only used squash before.
    Living MY dream.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I find Nunn electrolyte tablets are better than the Zero tabs; they have a more natural flavour.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • SoTyred
    SoTyred Posts: 4
    This may be sacrilegious, but in my experience energy drinks are a waste of money.

I used to swear by them and wouldn’t dream of going out for more than an hour without bottles of SiS or Gatorade and a couple of packets in my saddle bag. Then of course are the essential energy gels we all just must buy.

I was totally hooked until I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in January. In order to avoid meds, I agreed with my doctor that I would give up all forms of sugar. Which meant no more sugar loaded energy drinks or gels (or snacks come to that) while out riding.

So now I use dilute fruit juice (100 mls to 500 of water) and good old whole-wheat ham sandwiches. And you know what? My average speeds have never been better. My endurance has never been better. I have never felt better. And I cycle 60+ miles each ride.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    MattyDeez wrote:
    Surely trolling.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    40% Orange Juice (smooth, no bits as it blocks the nozzle of your bidon), 60% water and a pinch of salt.

Or supermarket own, sugar free squash.

In hot weather (2 days a year in the UK) I like to take a bottle of plain water as well so I can tip some on my head/back to cool down.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    t4tomo wrote:
    another vote for high5 zero hydration tablets (to pop in your water bottle). Evans sell them in packs of 20

+1 more! Lemon and lime even taste nice

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Robinsons Barley + H2O. 40 plus miles and only ever need 700ml. i don't know what the calories are but it tastes a tad more interesting than plain H20. Also like a mug of tea en route with two sugars. The bottom line is that if you are on the bike you are doing some good anyhow, i don't obsess unless i am at the back end of a really crap run into a headwind and then i top up with a Double Decker at any handy filling station.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Robinsons Barley + H2O. 40 plus miles and only ever need 700ml. i don't know what the calories are but it tastes a tad more interesting than plain H20. Also like a mug of tea en route with two sugars. The bottom line is that if you are on the bike you are doing some good anyhow, i don't obsess unless i am at the back end of a really crap run into a headwind and then i top up with a Double Decker at any handy filling station.

this is what the pros do, BTW :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.