Cannock Chase 100

AllanES
AllanES Posts: 151
Anyone else entered the Cannock Chase 100 sportive in July?
Or done it in previous years?

I've signed up to do the 100 miler but I'm having reservations. Partly because my current longest ride is around 60 miles and at the end of that I couldn't imagine having to do another 40! :(
But of course there is time to up the mileage before the event. So, for now I'll keep my entry at 100 with the possibility of dropping down to the 60 nearer the time if I don't feel I can manage the 100.
I just wondered if anyone else had any experience of this event and likely route?

Allan
Red Triban 3
Giant Defy 1

Comments

• dempsey1
    dempsey1 Posts: 320
    did it last year. like you i'd done around 60 milers(100km) sportives only. i figured it would be pretty flat and a good event to have a go for a 100 miler. It was! . go for it , pace yourself and enjoy bagging a century
  • AllanES
    dempsey1 wrote:
    did it last year. like you i'd done around 60 milers(100km) sportives only. i figured it would be pretty flat and a good event to have a go for a 100 miler. It was! . go for it , pace yourself and enjoy bagging a century

Excellent. Just what I wanted to hear :)
    I'm not familiar with the area - it's my wife's neck of the woods rather than mine - so I wasn't sure how hilly/flat it was likely to be.
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    If it's going over the Chase, it ain't gonna be flat. :wink:

When I was a student, the only hill I couldn't climb was the one going up onto the top of the chase, but the downhills are bloody marvellous (as is the view and the roads)

My step up was from 100Km rides to 100 miles and two friends have stepped up from 40 and 50 mile maximums. It's all about energy management not fitness when you can cycle those kind of distances. It's really a mental effort, and I hit the "wtf am I doing????" moment at about 75 miles the first time :lol: but I kept going, you just do.

I think you'll regret not trying, so you should keep yourself on the 100 mile route and try a few hills out.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • AllanES
    If it's going over the Chase, it ain't gonna be flat. :wink:

Not what I wanted to hear :? But i guess there has to be some hills in a 100mile bike ride!

My step up was from 100Km rides to 100 miles and two friends have stepped up from 40 and 50 mile maximums. It's all about energy management not fitness when you can cycle those kind of distances. It's really a mental effort, and I hit the "wtf am I doing????" moment at about 75 miles the first time :lol: but I kept going, you just do.

I think you're right about energy management...and nutrition/hydration levels. I definitely noticed a difference when I've started out with the attitude of "this is going to be a long ride, let's not rush it" compared to speedy from the start! :) And also carrying plenty of energy bars and fluid with me makes a very noticeable difference
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Any of the small lumps around Cannock Chase are Easy, worst I can think of is Brockton which is only about 15%, seriously I can't see anyone who reads on here no being able to ride any of the small climbs on the Chase.

I can think of a couple over by Hednesford and even them aren't hard, just take your time spin it in a nice easy gear.

BTW I ain't a climber :-)
  • AllanES
    Velonutter wrote:
    Any of the small lumps around Cannock Chase are Easy, worst I can think of is Brockton which is only about 15%, seriously I can't see anyone who reads on here no being able to ride any of the small climbs on the Chase.

I can think of a couple over by Hednesford and even them aren't hard, just take your time spin it in a nice easy gear.

BTW I ain't a climber :-)

Thanks ....from another non-climber......for your opinion
    :)
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • bails1310
    bails1310 Posts: 361
    Just signed up for the 100, may decide if this is a good idea on the day depending on the heat :oops:

Think it will be a 'just get round' day and not a 'how many PR's' day

I've tried downloading the .gpx or .tcx file from the website to Garmin so I have the map in reserve if need be, but when trying to manually download to Garmin, it states "Not All Activities Could be Downloaded".

The file I've saved is a gpx/tcx file but not sure if I'm missing something.

Alternatively if someone has the route already, could they stick it somewhere I can get hold of it.

See you there if anyone is doing it.
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • AllanES
    bails1310 wrote:
    Just signed up for the 100, may decide if this is a good idea on the day depending on the heat :oops:

I've signed up for the 100. It'll be my first time to that distance - most i've ridden so far is 85 miles. But hoping the heat doesn't put a stop to me doing the 100! But definitely going to be a "get round" ride. :-)
    bails1310 wrote:
    I've tried downloading the .gpx or .tcx file from the website to Garmin so I have the map in reserve if need be, but when trying to manually download to Garmin, it states "Not All Activities Could be Downloaded".

I had the same problem. And being new to Garmin and .gpx files I couldn't find a fix for it. In the end I re-drew the map using Garmin Connect and transferred it to my 500 by that means. I just hope I've redrawn it accurately!! :D
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • Kieran_Burns
    I've not entered as yet, as I'm concerned about the heat as well. I emailed the organisers and got the following back:
    Thank you for your email, <snip>

At the event headquarters we have fluids for people before they start as well as feed stations en route (60 mile route @ approx 33 miles – 100 mile route @ 39 miles & 70 miles)

The route also passes other pubs which you could top up if needed, we are also advising people to use two bottles on their bikes

We will also have a lovely feed station set up at the finish, I hope this helps & hope to see you on the big day

I think some of those leaps might be a bit much with the temps expected on Saturday. So you'd be lowering your work-rate to keep cool enough.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • bails1310
    bails1310 wrote:

I had the same problem. And being new to Garmin and .gpx files I couldn't find a fix for it. In the end I re-drew the map using Garmin Connect and transferred it to my 500 by that means. I just hope I've redrawn it accurately!! :D[/quote]

Be interested in getting a copy if you don't mind, not sure if you can publish it on Garmin Connect - if I know who you are I'll gladly get you a beer post ride.
  • AllanES
    bails1310 wrote:
    Be interested in getting a copy if you don't mind, not sure if you can publish it on Garmin Connect - if I know who you are I'll gladly get you a beer post ride.

I'd be happy to share (although you'd definitely need to check it for accuracy against the "official" route on the website :D ) if you have a better idea than me how that can be done! I'm a novice on Garmin Connect etc.
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • AllanES
    I think some of those leaps might be a bit much with the temps expected on Saturday. So you'd be lowering your work-rate to keep cool enough.

I was a little concerned by the gaps. And that was even before the heatwave!
    But being a novice on sportives, i assumed these intervals were standard.
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • AllanES
    bails1310 wrote:

Sent you a PM
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • Kieran_Burns
    AllanES wrote:

I was a little concerned by the gaps. And that was even before the heatwave!
    But being a novice on sportives, i assumed these intervals were standard.

Drink 'til you're sloshing at the feed stops and rather than need a pee, you'll sweat it out 8)

I can get to 40 miles without needing a stop normally as I eat enough to cover the distance then it's snacking and gels as I go.

I might end up looping through some of the same parts even if I'm not on the Sportive as the roads 'round those parts are really great.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • bails1310
    ...................decent down Drayton Cliff at 69 miles is pretty good, IMO.
  • bails1310
    AllanES wrote:
    bails1310 wrote:

Sent you a PM

Many thanks, PM'd you back.
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    I've not entered as yet, as I'm concerned about the heat as well. I emailed the organisers and got the following back:
    Thank you for your email, <snip>

At the event headquarters we have fluids for people before they start as well as feed stations en route (60 mile route @ approx 33 miles – 100 mile route @ 39 miles & 70 miles)

The route also passes other pubs which you could top up if needed, we are also advising people to use two bottles on their bikes

We will also have a lovely feed station set up at the finish, I hope this helps & hope to see you on the big day

I said to Rob the other day that I'll be doing this:

Taking 2 bottles, refill both at first feed station. Refill both again at second feed station. 6 bottles should be enough, but if its not, there will be other places to stop and refill. Shops, pubs etc. The heat will be an issue, but with plenty of liquid and a more relaxed pace (like Saturday) you'd be fine and so would Rob, unless he has 2 pints of Cider again :lol:

Get yourself entered!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Saturday wasn't THAT relaxed! :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • R0B75

Well it could have been slower, but we would have been overtaken by stationary objects. :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    R0B75 wrote:

Well it could have been slower, but we would have been overtaken by stationary objects. :lol:

You mean Rob? :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • R0B75
    R0B75 wrote:

You mean Rob? :P

Possibly...

By the way, it looks like its going to be cooler on Sunday. No excuse now then 8)
  • nik6158
    nik6158 Posts: 32
    I did the 60 mile ride and had a great time averaging 17.8mph which is a lot faster than I can usually manage.
  • R0B75
    Well done.

Beat me by 0.1mph. I did the 100 miler, which was actually 102 miles.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Or 108 if you got lost...
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • R0B75

Or ZERO if you were a massive fanny and stayed at home :lol:
  • AllanES
    I did the 100 miler and was glad of the wee diversion around the 60 miles mark. As this was my maiden 100 mile ride I was worried I was going to enter the grounds of Shugborough having done only 99.2 miles! Thankfully the detour took me beyond the hundred! :-)
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • Kieran_Burns
    R0B75 wrote:

Guilty as charged.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mrbobuk
    mrbobuk Posts: 20

Well, to do 108 in the first place Mr Burns (and get lost, as around 30 or more others did I might add, due to signpost issues at one particular part), you have to DO the Sportive in the first place. Not fanny out of participating when you have a triple on a carbon frame. Me? I'm more of a standard 12-25 kinda guy. RIDE the Sportives, rather than romanticise about them!

Great day though. Shame you couldn't be there.
    "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades" - Merckx
  • mrbobuk
    mrbobuk Posts: 20
    R0B75 wrote:

+1 Rob. You beat me to it!
    "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades" - Merckx