Derailleur set up help - XT

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning!

fitted a shimano long cage rear mech yesterday as I destroyed my old on with a rock strike at the weekend. Everything seems to function as expected when on the bike stand. Shifting is crisp and accurate.

However, moving to a real world environment where there's a little pressure on the peddles, and shifting seems a lot more problematic. Lots of rattling before shifting, and twanging when it does go.

What have I done wrong? Any tips? I've tried the barrel adjusters. Is there something I am missing?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like indexing is not quite right or B screw adjustment or bent mech hanger.
    Start again.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Just a guess - check how close the jockey wheels get to the cassette. Being too close or too far away can affect the quality of the shifts, and can lead to a bit of noise. The preferred distance is in the instructions somewhere.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Jockey teeth 2mm from largest sprocket teeth I seem to recall....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Which would be B screw adjustment.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CUBEical
    CUBEical Posts: 211
    I am sorry if I talk to much s@#t it goes with the name.............
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mccraque wrote:
    Morning!

fitted a shimano long cage rear mech yesterday as I destroyed my old on with a rock strike at the weekend. Everything seems to function as expected when on the bike stand. Shifting is crisp and accurate.

However, moving to a real world environment where there's a little pressure on the peddles, and shifting seems a lot more problematic. Lots of rattling before shifting, and twanging when it does go.

What have I done wrong? Any tips? I've tried the barrel adjusters. Is there something I am missing?
    what bike? what else have you changed?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    i normally set the gears in the stand then tweak them when i test ride it as often seems to be slightly different when you ride it