Wahoo Fitness /w HR Monitor Calorie Burn Accuracy

dynamis_dk
dynamis_dk Posts: 428
So I've finally managed to get myself some free time each week to start getting back into the riding and hopefully getting back into overall shape. I'm no natural athlete but family, relationship, work etc have given me a steady weight increase over the years so I'm looking to find the enjoyment I once had jumping back on the bike again.

This week did my first quick loop to make sure the bike (and myself I guess) we're in working order still and gave my wahoo HR monitor a go. I'm a bit nerdy so I figure that stats etc will give me something interesting to ponder over after a session and along with the GPS its a nice way to save the routes (I hate when you find a gem of a trail you haven't found before but then next time can't seem to find the same turn off etc).

One thing which I'm not sure about is the calorie burnt estimate wahoo give you as it seems very high so I'm under estimating how effective MTB riding can be or its lying to me lol.

I did a 9.17 mile loop, roughly a 1/3 downhill the first 15min or so, then mostly back on dirt tracks and woodland covering the total distance in around 1:15hr. Now Wahoo says that about 1375 kcal which to me seems high. My age, weight, height etc is all setup in wahoo right so I guess my question is:

How accurate are the calorie calculations or should I just ignore it?

My main use for the HR monitor is to gauge how much time I'm spending in each zone so I can work out shorter target sessions on days I'm short of time and can't do a few hours leisure riding.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd ignore any calorie calculation, they tend to be rubbish!