Shin Protection

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
I know i should man up but it hurts a fair bit! Trails round my way are great bar one plant Gorse Bush which is shredding my legs a treat and the trails i like seem to be thick with the stuff. ive been looking at shin protection as i prefer to ride in 3/4 lengths the knees are covered. Ive been looking at either 661 Riots shins or Alpine star Alps shins. Anyone any recommendations for oter options i should look at?
I tried my old 661 Racelite knee an shin pads but they kept catching on the shorts because of the length so im trying to avoid that style

Comments

• Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    661 Veggie shins?
    They are low profile (not bulky) and stop below the knee, so they don't get caught on my shorts (3/4 length humvees). Very comfortable to wear and don't move around while you are riding.
    I have a pair - they look like the Riot Shins, but are more lightweight. Made from neoprene, with a plastic insert on the front. Protects from bushes, small branches and wraparound pedals, but not rock strikes (like a Riot Shin would).
    Good for a few hours, but they do get hot after a while. (That said, I have done an all-dayer at Dalby in June without noticing). On the plus side, they also double-up as windstoppers when it gets cold.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • step83
    Im struggling a bit to find some veggies but the Riots look a good alternative ill have a better look into them thanks
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    Looks like the Riots are the replacement for the Veggies (seem to be discontinued).
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I found the Riot's a bit too bulky even for downhill . Shin pads aren't a good idea for XC riding, they aren't designed for two hours plus of pedaling. They are intended for short downhill blasts.
  • step83
    Any ideas what i can use? Went out today and got my legs absolutely shredded by the stuff.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Football shin pads, £3 from sports direct, job done
  • unquestioned
    unquestioned Posts: 172
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-Sport-Elast ... 2563e49c41

This sort of thing works in paintball.

You get all different kinds, stuff used for fight training can be lightweight & not be too much of a hindrance. I'd say scour ebay.
  • step83
    anj132 wrote:
    Football shin pads, £3 from sports direct, job done

Bob on! I always remember shin pads from school being clunky and hurting when i ran. Looks like theyve improved somewhat!
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I use Riots when I'm riding with flat pedals, have done 22 miles without noticing them at all in terms of getting hot, but I haven't used them through the height ( :?: ) of summer.

They are very comfortable but they might get a bit knackered by the gorse, where I have caught mine on the pedal pins the have put some small rips in the back of them.

I have some old Veggie knee pads and they were a lot worse for heat build up than the Riot equivalents.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets