Chain breaking issues

James T
James T Posts: 104
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Help, I snapped my chain 4 times at Llandegla yesterday. What are the common causes of chains snapping, starting with user endured failure and moving to more mechanical type causes, so I can try and identify the cause?

I have an SRAM X9 9 speed group set and SRAM chain.

Kind regards

James

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Not riding in the gear extremes are you? i.e. big chainring - largest sprocket or granny ring - smallest sprocket.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • James T
    Good starting point. I tried not to but can't rule it out - I will pay more attention next time. I've never had any issues on my road bike!

What's next in the hierarchy?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How did you join it after each break?
    Were they all the same link?
    Any bent teeth on rings or cogs?
    Do you have legs like the Hulk?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • James T
    No quick links with me so progressively shortened the chain and ended up single speed. Could be each repair weakened the chain and shortening increased strain - kind of a vicious spiral of death.

I will check the chain rings. Can the rear mech cause chain failure?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Joining a chain with the the original pins is a guarentee of future issues, so you snapped it once and it probably failed at that join a further 3 times...also as a pin comes out the chain bends and weakens the section either side while it's still held by the one sideplate.

Shortening has no effect on strain...unless you went to too big (teeth on wheels) a combo with the shorter chain such that it was pulled tight.

I carry 2 powerlinks as well as about 4 pairs of chain links, also my chain has 2 powerlinks a single inner link apart so I can fix any break properly with minimal impact, thus enjoying the rest of my ride.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This^^^.
    I carry a couple of quick links and a small section of chain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • James T
    Thanks, useful advice. I will get some power links and cannibalise the old chain for some of the "inner" links.

Was considering just carrying a spare chain!

Kind regards

James