Privacy on Strava

arran77
arran77 Posts: 9,260
edited May 2013 in Road general
I've recently started using Strava and I set up the privacy to hide our house, this worked fine to begin with but then I noticed on my ride tonight it does not seem to have worked, can you edit a ride after its uploaded so that you do hide your house?
"Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn

Comments

  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    It does it automatically to all rides after uploading them depending on your privacy settings. How do you know it hasn't worked, because it will show you the full route unless you're not signed in? For everyone else is should block it.
  • deadhead1971
    deadhead1971 Posts: 338
    Copy the URL of the activity, then log OUT of Strava.
    Paste the URL back in to your address bar, and you should see that the start and end points will be a certain distance away from your actual start and end points.
    As ROB75 said, if you're logged in as you, it shows you the full route.
    Alan
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk


    The Ultimate List of Strava Add On Sites!
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/strava-sites
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Thanks for the replies, I thought of that myself after I posted so I logged out and searched for me in the athlete search and all was fine, start and end hidden!!!!

    :oops:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

    seanoconn
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    In addition, if you don't consider the "Privacy Zone" big enough you can always upload your ride, then crop a bit off the start and finish. However, this will have the effect of shortening the overall recorded length of your ride by the amount you crop off from both ends.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

    Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Or a much easier way is when looking at a ride, click on the 'terrain map' drop-down menu and check the 'show privacy zone' checkbox.

    Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

    I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    And don't use your real name which is easy to check out via the electoral register ...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Or you can always contemplate the unthinkable and don't use strava at all...
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    bompington wrote:
    Or you can always contemplate the unthinkable and don't use strava at all...


    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    A while ago I had it set to hide my name and someone on here posted a leader board screen shot, showing my full name!

    Morale, don't use your full name regardless & don't list your bikes in detail. I have fixeh and CAAAD, not Di2 S-works Roubaix etc. Common sense but some people do it...
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    iPete wrote:
    A while ago I had it set to hide my name and someone on here posted a leader board screen shot, showing my full name!

    Morale, don't use your full name regardless & don't list your bikes in detail. I have fixeh and CAAAD, not Di2 S-works Roubaix etc. Common sense but some people do it...


    OMG someone posted your name on the internet??? What did you do? Did bad things happen?

    Someone told me about this thing called facebook or something like that. It involved me having my name on the internet. Do they think we are stupid?

    :lol::lol::lol:
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    A while ago I had it set to hide my name and someone on here posted a leader board screen shot, showing my full name!

    Morale, don't use your full name regardless & don't list your bikes in detail. I have fixeh and CAAAD, not Di2 S-works Roubaix etc. Common sense but some people do it...


    OMG someone posted your name on the internet??? What did you do? Did bad things happen?

    Someone told me about this thing called facebook or something like that. It involved me having my name on the internet. Do they think we are stupid?

    :lol::lol::lol:

    Was more concerned that I wasn't KOM tbfh but troll away :wink:
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Generally speaking its not a good idea to discuss too much of your private life on the internet.

    Bad things can happen:

    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?sho ... pid=736229
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22449442
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    diy wrote:
    Generally speaking its not a good idea to discuss too much of your private life on the internet.

    Bad things can happen:

    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?sho ... pid=736229
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22449442

    I agree. Using Strava to block your home and work or other addresses is a very good idea but beyond that, I think some people are too paranoid about the internet.

    Posting up video of you doing something illegal is the preserve of the 'hard of thinking' and they deserve all they get.

    iPete, not trolling, just very intrigued to read that you wanted to hide your name off Strava. If everyone were anonymous it would probably not have the same appeal so I am curious why you wanted to be.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    It was my suggestion... It just seems sensible to not give folks easily accessible information that you have a shiny expensive bike in or around the house. I wasn't being paranoid I hope, and I think I was picking up on stuff that was posted here a while ago
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    diy wrote:
    Generally speaking its not a good idea to discuss too much of your private life on the internet.

    Bad things can happen:

    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?sho ... pid=736229
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22449442

    I agree. Using Strava to block your home and work or other addresses is a very good idea but beyond that, I think some people are too paranoid about the internet.

    Posting up video of you doing something illegal is the preserve of the 'hard of thinking' and they deserve all they get.

    iPete, not trolling, just very intrigued to read that you wanted to hide your name off Strava. If everyone were anonymous it would probably not have the same appeal so I am curious why you wanted to be.

    Riding London every day it's pretty easy to pick up other riders, why make it easy to track yourself down, your bikes, routes and then exactly who you are*. More concerned the database didn't work than having my name out there and it only hides your last name.

    That doesn't stop people asking if I'm iPete though! :lol:

    *puts on foil hat
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    iPete wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    diy wrote:
    Generally speaking its not a good idea to discuss too much of your private life on the internet.

    Bad things can happen:

    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?sho ... pid=736229
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22449442

    I agree. Using Strava to block your home and work or other addresses is a very good idea but beyond that, I think some people are too paranoid about the internet.

    Posting up video of you doing something illegal is the preserve of the 'hard of thinking' and they deserve all they get.

    iPete, not trolling, just very intrigued to read that you wanted to hide your name off Strava. If everyone were anonymous it would probably not have the same appeal so I am curious why you wanted to be.

    Riding London every day it's pretty easy to pick up other riders, why make it easy to track yourself down, your bikes, routes and then exactly who you are*. More concerned the database didn't work than having my name out there and it only hides your last name.

    That doesn't stop people asking if I'm iPete though! :lol:

    *puts on foil hat

    You are really paranoid. Your name will be publicly available on many places, as well as your address, your telephone numbers, most likely your work, and probably a lot of other things as well. I think Strava is the least of your worries.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I hear people saying Strava is the least of our worries in this day and age - but with tales of Strava being used to target expensive bikes, taking simple precautions like a made-up name and not putting bikes down as Pinarello Dogma etc. are pretty sensible. Not having details of all your bikes on your signature on forums makes sense as well.

    I have two trained attack cats protecting mine, so I pity the fool who tries to take them!
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    While they do use Strava, I would be much more worried about actually being followed home at the end of a ride than someone knowing my name on Strava. People who use fake names on the internet seem to think that if they use their real name they WILL have problems. I have a friend who when he joined Skype used a fake name because he was worried people would stalk him. I am basically the only person other than his family who talks to him, and this just comes across as looney.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    iPete wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    diy wrote:
    Generally speaking its not a good idea to discuss too much of your private life on the internet.

    Bad things can happen:

    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?sho ... pid=736229
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22449442

    I agree. Using Strava to block your home and work or other addresses is a very good idea but beyond that, I think some people are too paranoid about the internet.

    Posting up video of you doing something illegal is the preserve of the 'hard of thinking' and they deserve all they get.

    iPete, not trolling, just very intrigued to read that you wanted to hide your name off Strava. If everyone were anonymous it would probably not have the same appeal so I am curious why you wanted to be.

    Riding London every day it's pretty easy to pick up other riders, why make it easy to track yourself down, your bikes, routes and then exactly who you are*. More concerned the database didn't work than having my name out there and it only hides your last name.

    That doesn't stop people asking if I'm iPete though! :lol:

    *puts on foil hat

    You are really paranoid. Your name will be publicly available on many places, as well as your address, your telephone numbers, most likely your work, and probably a lot of other things as well. I think Strava is the least of your worries.

    I think you are mixing paranoid with ticking a box cos it's there. Was just pointing out that it didn't work. I know the info is out there, work with data everyday.
  • Churchill123
    Churchill123 Posts: 341
    Or just do what I do, and in the what bike have you got bit I say i've got Rayleigh Chopper - Which I obviously don't but who'd want to steal a piece of shit like that!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Or just do what I do, and in the what bike have you got bit I say i've got Rayleigh Chopper - Which I obviously don't but who'd want to steal a piece of shoot like that!

    Loads of people, they're worth a packet now :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

    seanoconn
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The simple choice is - if you are worried that using Strava may increase the risk of getting your bike stolen... don't use it.

    I realise that may sound really radical.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro